encoding - arabic(IBM 864) to UNICODE

Madhu Alagu

Hello,

How to convert IBM 864,IBM 420 & Nafitha(Arabic) to UNICODE.

Thanks

Madhu Alagu

Jorge Godoy

Madhu Alagu said:
Hello,

How to convert IBM 864,IBM 420 & Nafitha(Arabic) to UNICODE.

Your OS should have some tools for that. On Linux I use 'iconv' to convert
from several encodings to several other encodings.

Another option is checking if Python has those encodings available (are they
standard or platform specific?) and using its own conversion method, as
explained in the docs.

Peter Otten

Madhu said:
How to convert IBM 864,IBM 420 & Nafitha(Arabic) to UNICODE.

You can treat them like every other encoding:
'\xef\xbb\x93\xef\xbb\x8c\xef\xb9\xbd\xef\xbb\xad\xef\xbb\x93'

To read from or write to a file you can codecs.open() which allows you to
specify an encoding.

Peter

(*) these are arbitrary characters generated by
"".join(chr(ord(c)+128) for c in "alpha")
since I don't know Arabic.