Encoding for the web

Samuel van Laere

Perhaps a stupid question, or i'm just misunderstading the concept of
character encoding.
But since we have UTF-8 encoding: is there still a place for ISO standards
on the web?

cheers,
Samuel van Laere

__________ Informatie van ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versie van database viruskenmerken 5400 (20100826) __________

Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

R. Andersen

Perhaps a stupid question, or i'm just misunderstading the concept of
character encoding.
But since we have UTF-8 encoding: is there still a place for ISO
standards on the web?

cheers,
Samuel van Laere

__________ Informatie van ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versie van database
viruskenmerken 5400 (20100826) __________

Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

I think it depends on your target audience. UTF-8 and 8859-1 are mostly
used for western audiences. The stadards ensures a correct encoding
(developers) and a correct decoding (users).

Jukka K. Korpela

Samuel said:
Perhaps a stupid question, or i'm just misunderstading the concept of
character encoding.

All people misunderstand it...
But since we have UTF-8 encoding: is there still a place for ISO
standards on the web?

Pardon? UTF-8 _is_ a transfer encoding for an ISO standard character code,
ISO 10646, colloquially known as Unicode (the two are not identical, but
they are kept fully coordinated).

I guess you mean to ask "is there still a place for 8-bit encodings such as
ISO 8859-1?" Yes there is, in many cases where UTF-8 cannot be used for
technical reason (legacy software used to author pages, etc.) or need not be
used, because 99.9% of characters used in a site are representable in ISO
8859-1 and the rest can be handled using character references or entity