    __________ Informatie van ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versie van database viruskenmerken 5400 (20100826) __________

    Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

    http://www.eset.com
    Samuel van Laere, Aug 26, 2010

  2. Samuel van Laere

    R. Andersen Guest

    On 2010-08-26 22:44:47 +0200, Samuel van Laere said:

    > Perhaps a stupid question, or i'm just misunderstading the concept of
    > character encoding.
    > But since we have UTF-8 encoding: is there still a place for ISO
    > standards on the web?
    >
    > cheers,
    > Samuel van Laere
    >

    > __________ Informatie van ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versie van database
    > viruskenmerken 5400 (20100826) __________
    >
    > Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
    >
    > http://www.eset.com

    I think it depends on your target audience. UTF-8 and 8859-1 are mostly
    used for western audiences. The stadards ensures a correct encoding
    (developers) and a correct decoding (users).
    --
    Regards,
    R. Andersen
    R. Andersen, Aug 27, 2010

  3. Samuel van Laere wrote:

    > Perhaps a stupid question, or i'm just misunderstading the concept of
    > character encoding.

    All people misunderstand it...

    > But since we have UTF-8 encoding: is there still a place for ISO
    > standards on the web?

    Pardon? UTF-8 _is_ a transfer encoding for an ISO standard character code,
    ISO 10646, colloquially known as Unicode (the two are not identical, but
    they are kept fully coordinated).

    I guess you mean to ask "is there still a place for 8-bit encodings such as
    ISO 8859-1?" Yes there is, in many cases where UTF-8 cannot be used for
    technical reason (legacy software used to author pages, etc.) or need not be
    used, because 99.9% of characters used in a site are representable in ISO
    8859-1 and the rest can be handled using character references or entity
    references.

    There are probably still browsers that don't grok UTF-8, though hopefully
    not many of them.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 27, 2010
  4. Samuel van Laere

    R. Andersen Guest

    On 2010-08-27 20:17:59 +0200, R. Andersen said:

    > On 2010-08-26 22:44:47 +0200, Samuel van Laere said:
    >
    >> Perhaps a stupid question, or i'm just misunderstading the concept of
    >> character encoding.
    >> But since we have UTF-8 encoding: is there still a place for ISO
    >> standards on the web?
    >>
    >> cheers,
    >> Samuel van Laere
    >>

    >> __________ Informatie van ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versie van database
    >> viruskenmerken 5400 (20100826) __________
    >>
    >> Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
    >>
    >> http://www.eset.com

    > I think it depends on your target audience. UTF-8 and 8859-1 are mostly
    > used for western audiences. The stadards ensures a correct encoding
    > (developers) and a correct decoding (users).

    Ah I misunderstood your question. But yes ISO is stil useful. I use it
    for my website since I have no need for extended characters.
    --
    Regards,
    R. Andersen
    R. Andersen, Aug 27, 2010