encoding question

derek

i am reading that the A tag has an "charset" attribute. according to the w3c recommendation

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#h-12.1.5

user agents should be able to load the needed resources to properly decode the page or
at least warn the user that the document will be unreadable.

I am trying to test this to see if any user agent actually does this. I wanted to make a link to
http://www.yahoo.co.jp
but what encoding do i use? inthe charset attribute to test this out?
If i look in the target document i see charset of utf8.
So, basically i'm looking for a way to test if any browser supports what the w3c recommends.
thanks.

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit derek:
i am reading that the A tag has an "charset" attribute.

It simply isn't supported by browsers, and it wasn't a great idea from
the beginning.

derek

Scripsit derek:
It simply isn't supported by browsers, and it wasn't a great idea from
the beginning.

ok, well i was hoping to at least come up with a test case for some
documentation i have to write to prove that it doesnt work for
a set of different browsers. if there is no expected behavior and
no browser supports it in any way, then it makes it impossible
to write a test case for it.
thanks for the help.

Anon

22 Feb 2008,derek in
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

psst, does your sig have a sister, who's still single?