Encrypt connection channel

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Tushar Karsan, Jul 22, 2003.

  1. (Been reading other messages on this subject but could not find an answer,
    that is why I'm posting this. Please note, although I have posted to several
    groups, I've set follow-to microsoft.public.sqlserver.security in case I
    posted to where I shouldn't have, sorry if I have).

    Using
    + ASP.Net
    + SQL Server 2000
    + Windows 2K Adv. Server.

    It is possible to encryp data that is exchanged between ASP.Net server in
    DMZ and SQL Server in secured zone? By that I mean securing all that data
    that passes though the firewall on port 1433 between ASP.Net and SQL Server.
    I guess there are two aspects to this question:

    1 Encrypt the connection string that is used to make a connection, ie pass
    and ancrypted connection string from ASP.Net to SQL Server to make a
    connection. Does ADO.Net and SQL Server support this feature?

    2 Encryption of sensitive sensitive query data that is exchanged between
    ASP.Net and SQL Server. By this I mean storing the data in cleartext, then
    have it ecrypted while it is in transition from the DB server to ASP.Net
    then have in decrypted back into cleartext in ASP.Net application. Is that
    possible?

    I suppse if either of the above is not possible then I will have to store
    the sensitive data into the DB encrypted and have it decrypted after
    reading. The problem with this method is that session keys cannot be used:
    the key used for encryption / decryption needs to be fixed for all time.

    Please help.

    Tushar Karsan, Jul 22, 2003