encrypt files?

Lloyd

I didn't know which group to post to so I started here:
I used to use handibits file encripter until I found out it was spyware, is
there an honest freebie I can use?
Thanks,
the frugal user

Hywel Jenkins

I didn't know which group to post to so I started here:
I used to use handibits file encripter until I found out it was spyware, is
there an honest freebie I can use?
Thanks,
the frugal user

Encrypting HTML files is pointless. They rely on JavaScript (or other
client-side scripting) to enable the browser to display them, which
takes a few minutes to beat.

Karl Core

Lloyd said:
I didn't know which group to post to so I started here:
I used to use handibits file encripter until I found out it was spyware,
is there an honest freebie I can use?
Thanks,
the frugal user

If you're the kind of person that thinks encrypting your sourcecode is a
good thing to do, then you're not writing good enough code to worry about.

Lloyd

Encrypting HTML files is pointless. They rely on JavaScript (or other
client-side scripting) to enable the browser to display them, which
takes a few minutes to beat.

it's not for the browser, it's for word docs or similar files to email to
another user that can decrypt them with the same program..

Fernie

Lloyd said:
it's not for the browser, it's for word docs or similar files to email to
another user that can decrypt them with the same program..

The following program provides serious encryption using one of the most
modern and powerful algorithms available:

http://www.mjfreelancing.com/filesafe.htm

It can encrypt and compress single or multiple files. They have a free
reader so that other individuals can decrypt your files so long as they have
the correct password.

Guest

Toby Inkster said:
I think you'll find PGP/GPG is more widely implemented in software and
more widely supported by the Internet community at large.

http://www.gnupg.org/

What he said. :)

Seriously, one advantge to GPG/PGP is that it's cross platform, widely
used, secure and it uses public key cryptography.

The public key bit is particularly important, it allows you to securely
exchange the encryption keys in the open. You can actually store the public
key on a public server and encrypt a file or message with it, if someone
gets the public key, they still can't decode the message.

(With private key, you need secure channels to exchange the passwords)

If you don't need secure encryption, see my .sig, the email address is
rot13 "encrypted". (Use your newsreaders rot13 function to decode)

Do people still use rot13 on usenet? it's been years since I've actually seen
anyone (else) use it, seemed like a reasonable 1st layer defense against
spam-bots.

Jamie