    there an honest freebie I can use?
    Thanks,
    the frugal user
    Lloyd, Dec 19, 2004

  2. In article <S3lxd.597666$D%.431928@attbi_s51>, says...
    > I didn't know which group to post to so I started here:
    > I used to use handibits file encripter until I found out it was spyware, is
    > there an honest freebie I can use?
    > Thanks,
    > the frugal user

    Encrypting HTML files is pointless. They rely on JavaScript (or other
    client-side scripting) to enable the browser to display them, which
    takes a few minutes to beat.

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.
    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 19, 2004

    http://www.gnupg.org/
    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 19, 2004
  4. Lloyd

    Karl Core Guest

    "Lloyd" <> wrote in message news:S3lxd.597666$D%.431928@attbi_s51...
    > I didn't know which group to post to so I started here:
    > I used to use handibits file encripter until I found out it was spyware,
    > is there an honest freebie I can use?
    > Thanks,
    > the frugal user

    If you're the kind of person that thinks encrypting your sourcecode is a
    good thing to do, then you're not writing good enough code to worry about.

    --
    -Karl Core
    Please Support "Project Boneyard":
    Karl Core, Dec 19, 2004
  5. Lloyd

    Lloyd Guest

    > Encrypting HTML files is pointless. They rely on JavaScript (or other
    > client-side scripting) to enable the browser to display them, which
    > takes a few minutes to beat.

    it's not for the browser, it's for word docs or similar files to email to
    another user that can decrypt them with the same program..
    Lloyd, Dec 19, 2004
  6. Lloyd

    Fernie Guest

    "Lloyd" <> wrote in message news:eboxd.527428$wV.73620@attbi_s54...
    >> Encrypting HTML files is pointless. They rely on JavaScript (or other
    >> client-side scripting) to enable the browser to display them, which
    >> takes a few minutes to beat.

    > it's not for the browser, it's for word docs or similar files to email to
    > another user that can decrypt them with the same program..

    The following program provides serious encryption using one of the most
    modern and powerful algorithms available:

    http://www.mjfreelancing.com/filesafe.htm

    It can encrypt and compress single or multiple files. They have a free
    reader so that other individuals can decrypt your files so long as they have
    the correct password.

    --

    ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com
    Fernie, Dec 20, 2004
  7. Lloyd

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Dec 20, 2004
  8. Lloyd

    Guest

    Toby Inkster <> wrote:
    > Fernie wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.mjfreelancing.com/filesafe.htm

    > I think you'll find PGP/GPG is more widely implemented in software and
    > more widely supported by the Internet community at large.
    >
    > http://www.gnupg.org/

    What he said. :)

    Seriously, one advantge to GPG/PGP is that it's cross platform, widely
    used, secure and it uses public key cryptography.

    The public key bit is particularly important, it allows you to securely
    exchange the encryption keys in the open. You can actually store the public
    key on a public server and encrypt a file or message with it, if someone
    gets the public key, they still can't decode the message.

    (With private key, you need secure channels to exchange the passwords)

    If you don't need secure encryption, see my .sig, the email address is
    rot13 "encrypted". (Use your newsreaders rot13 function to decode)

    Do people still use rot13 on usenet? it's been years since I've actually seen
    anyone (else) use it, seemed like a reasonable 1st layer defense against
    spam-bots.

    Jamie
    (rot13) User Management Solutions
    , Dec 30, 2004