Encrypt identity password

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Anand, Jul 18, 2003.

  1. Anand

    Anand Guest

    Hi,

    I want to encrypt userid and password on the web config
    file. I ran the aspnet_setreg.exe and encrypted it on the
    registry and in the web config file i wrote

    <identity impersonate = "true"
    userName="registery:HKLM:\SOFTWARE\MYAPP\identity\ASPNET_SE
    TREG,userName"
    password=="registery:HKLM:\SOFTWARE\MYAPP\identity\ASPNET_S
    ETREG,password" />

    But it throwed me an error
    "Could not create Windows user token from the credentials
    specified in the config file. Error from the operating
    system 'Logon failure: unknown user name or bad
    password. '"

    If i hardcore my userid and password on the web config
    file it works fine.

    Any help would be good.
    I am doing all these as i want to move my files from the
    webserver to a shared folder on the database server and i
    need to provide write access to the shared folder.
    Any help or advice will be good.
    Thanks
    Anand
    Anand, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Anand

    Jos Guest

    Anand wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to encrypt userid and password on the web config
    > file. I ran the aspnet_setreg.exe and encrypted it on the
    > registry and in the web config file i wrote
    >
    > <identity impersonate = "true"
    > userName="registery:HKLM:\SOFTWARE\MYAPP\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,userName"
    > password=="registery:HKLM:\SOFTWARE\MYAPP\identity\ASPNET_SETREG,password"

    />

    If you wrote it like this, you made a few typos.
    "registery" should be "registry"
    "password==" should be "password="

    --

    Jos Branders