Encrypt ruby source code

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Joe Black, Sep 26, 2006.

  1. Joe Black

    Joe Black Guest

    Joe Black, Sep 26, 2006

  2. Harold Hausman, Sep 26, 2006

  3. Joe Black

    Joe Black Guest

    I want supply a web app to third party,
    but don't want tell them my source code.
    what can i do?
    any suggestion

    regards

    Joe Black, Sep 26, 2006
  4. On 9/26/06, Paul Lutus <> wrote:
    > Joe Black wrote:
    >
    > > I want supply a web app to third party,
    > > but don't want tell them my source code.
    > > what can i do?

    > One option that comes to mind is a project that converts Ruby source into an
    > executable package in native code. Unfortunately, now I cannot find a
    > reference to it. Maybe someone else can provide a reference.
    >
    > --
    > Paul Lutus

    Paul,

    You're likely thinking of RubyScript2Exe:
    http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/index.html

    Which, while very sweet doesn't necessarily play nicely as a webapp
    which the OP mentions his project is.

    I really believe that if your app is commercially viable, you're
    probably going to be selling it to people that will respect it's
    license so just release it under a license that protects you
    financially. Or do it in another language that supports you selling
    your code to knaves. heh.

    -Harold

    Harold Hausman, Sep 26, 2006
  5. David Roberts, Sep 26, 2006
  6. Joe Black

    Tom Pollard Guest

    On Sep 26, 2006, at 5:21 AM, Harold Hausman wrote:
    > You're likely thinking of RubyScript2Exe:
    > http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/index.html

    It should be pointed out that this is NOT a compiler. What I believe
    it does is to create an executable archive containing your script,
    the ruby executable, and any dependent modules and libraries it needs
    to execute your script. When you run the resulting package, the
    archive is unpacked into a temporary directory and the bundled ruby
    interpreter is used to execute your script. There are a number of
    similar tools for perl and python that work this way (perlapp, PAR,
    perl2exe, py2exe, py2app, ...).

    > I really believe that if your app is commercially viable, you're
    > probably going to be selling it to people that will respect it's
    > license so just release it under a license that protects you
    > financially. Or do it in another language that supports you selling
    > your code to knaves. heh.

    That's really the bottom line, here. Scripting languages are
    inherently open-source. Big and medium-sized companies have lawyers
    who make sure their companies don't put themselves in legal jeopardy
    by violating software licensing agreements.

    TomP

    Tom Pollard, Sep 26, 2006
  7. Joe Black

    ralf Guest

    Joe Black schrieb:

    > Hi all
    > any one know how to encrypt ruby source code.
    > regards

    Hi Joe,
    encoding you code to protect your intellectual property seems to be a
    good thing. But I do not expect it to realy work:
    1. Security by obfuscation is surely not the ultimate weapon. You
    cannot be sure, that the obfuscation work. A skilled Hacker can get
    the code out of a compiled C- or Java-library.
    2. How do you check the integrity of your code? If it's encoded, you
    propably need the knowledge of other people, you HAVE to trust. If it's
    text, you can do that on your own.
    3. Where is the key to decode your app? It propalby lies on the same
    machine, where the app should run. this leads to -->>
    4. On what OS should your app run? Is it secure enough?
    5. Does the company have a policy, what to do while a break-in is
    detected? Does they detect that anyway?
    ..
    ..
    ..
    N. You cannot be sure, so choose a license, that fits your needs and
    distribute exactly what you've coded: text.

    best regards
    Ralf

    ralf, Sep 26, 2006
  8. Joe Black

    Bill Kelly Guest

    From: "Paul Lutus" <>

    > One option that comes to mind is a project that converts Ruby source into an
    > executable package in native code. Unfortunately, now I cannot find a
    > reference to it. Maybe someone else can provide a reference.

    Ruby2CExtension: http://ruby2cext.rubyforge.org/

    I haven't tried it yet, myself. . . . But if one's code doesn't
    run afoul of any of the limitations,
    ( http://ruby2cext.rubyforge.org/limitations.html ), then ruby2cext
    sounds like a genuine solution to the problem.

    Regards,

    Bill

    Bill Kelly, Sep 26, 2006
  9. On 9/26/06, Tom Pollard <> wrote:
    > That's really the bottom line, here. Scripting languages are
    > inherently open-source. Big and medium-sized companies have lawyers
    > who make sure their companies don't put themselves in legal jeopardy
    > by violating software licensing agreements.

    I disagree with the open-source assertion. JRuby will soon support
    pre-parsing libraries into an intermediate format that's difficult
    (but obviously not impossible) to reverse back to code. We're also
    working on a compiler to Java bytecode that would make the original
    source completely unnecessary and extremely difficult to produce. It's
    all in your definition of "open" of course, but there's perfectly
    valid cases for providing compiled dynamic-language applications
    without loose source files.

    --
    Contribute to RubySpec! @ www.headius.com/rubyspec
    Charles Oliver Nutter @ headius.blogspot.com