Encrypted email - is there a specific solution?

Framework fan

Hello,

Can encrpyted email be sent from an ASP.NET application?

I'm just looking to encrypt a small key, then send it from a shared
server to myself, but I'd like the data encrypted for safety before
being sent to me.

(Or should I just use RSA asymmetric encryption, and keep the private
key only on my machine?)

Thanks,

-Frameworker.

Paul Glavich [MVP - ASP.NET]

If its just sending mail to yourself, then an asymetric method (like RSA you
suggested below) would be ideal. Given that only you have the private key
(and of course the shared server has the public key), then you can encrypt
the data and either send it to yourself as an attachment or base64 encode it
and simple place it in the body of your email.

Either way its quite secure. If you need to start sending to others apart
fro yourself, thats where it can get a bit trickier.

Framework fan

Thank you.

If System.Web.Mail.MailMsg.Body takes a string, and I have an array of
bytes that I would like to encode in base64, what is the syntax to
assign the byte array to the mailmsg body please?

Framework fan

Regarding the base64 encoding, is it just simply a case of using:

Convert.ToBase64String and Convert.FromBase64String

I thought it would be more difficult than that!