Encrypting a query string in URL

Andy G

If users forget there passwords I want to send a link to them through email
so they can click on a link and go to a change password page. eBay does
this by sending you a url that looks something like,
http://sigin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/pass/$1$69912$1XasURRhQFdYhulVSnJqt. I want to
a send a url with ?userID=228 tacked on the end. Instead of the 228 being
in clear text I want to encrypt it somehow and then user
Request.QueryString("userID") to get the encrypted value to decrypt it.

Could someone throw me a bone.
\\
Andy

Guest

I hope this helps
see the Imports System.Security.Cryptography name space.
thanks
kes

Andy G

It does help. I use that for my password hashing so I am somewhat familiar
with that name space. Which classes would I use within that namespace for
the encrypting and decrypting?

Thanks.

Guest

I looked this up in chapter 21 of ASP.NET UnLeashed. It contains a few
examples of the different methods and their relitive strengths. Symmetric
encription is what i looked at.
thanks
kes (and yes i'm new to this one too!)