Encrypting external config section

Chuck

With .net 4.0 can you now encrypt external sections using the
Aspnet_regiis.exe tool?

I know in 2.0 you couldn't

<connectionStrings file="ExternalWeb.config">

Or is there is a good way to do this without having to write your own exe to
munge the xml?

thanks,

Zhi-Qiang Ni[MSFT]

Hi Chuck,

Currently, we have no documentation that describes the Aspnet_regiis.exe
tool can be used to encrypt external sections in .NET 4.0.

Another way to achieve this is to read the extarnal files and inject them
inside the web.config.

Please refer to the detailed steps in these two articles.
http://weblogs.asp.net/muhanadyounis/pages/encrypt-web-config-including-exta
rnal-appsettings-and-connectionstrings-files.aspx
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/applications/EncryptConfiguration.aspx .

--
Sincerely,
Zhi-Qiang Ni