Encrypting Passwords

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?VGF5bw==?=, May 27, 2004.

  1. How do I encrypt passwords before saving in the database

    =?Utf-8?B?VGF5bw==?=, May 27, 2004

  2. Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], May 27, 2004

  3. Tayo,

    The recommended way of storing passwords is hashing. Hashing works one way,
    you can't calculate the actual password out of hash value. DotNet implements
    hashing in function
    System.Web.Security.FormsAuthentication.HashPasswordForStoringInConfigFile

    You might want to use salt values for better security. Look at
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=055FF772-97FE-41B8-A58C-BF9C6593F25E
    for the full explanation.

    Eliyahu

    Eliyahu Goldin, May 27, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?VGF5bw==?=

    Nick Gilbert Guest

    > The recommended way of storing passwords is hashing.

    Don't forget that if you choose to store the password as a hash, you
    will never be able to remind the user of their password (there is no way
    to get the password out of the hash). Instead you will need to provide a
    reset password feature which perhaps, changes the password to random
    chars and e-mails it to them.

    Nick...

    Nick Gilbert, May 27, 2004