Encrypting the source code

Mohammad Samara

Hello everybody,

I have deployed an ASP.NET application for one of our clients, is there a
way to hide or encrypt the source code of our application (C# code behind)
from being diplayed by anyone else?

Thanks.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

Mohammad,

When you deploy an application, you should not deploy source code.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

Alek Davis

Mohammad,

What Jim is saying is: You only need to deploy the following files: *.aspx,
*.asax, Web.config, and *.dll (from the bin folder); you do not need to
deploy *.cs, *.vb, *.sln, *.proj, and other files, which are only used by
VS.NET and are not required by IIS.

Alek

Jim Cheshire said:
Mohammad,

When you deploy an application, you should not deploy source code.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------

Daniel J Rodriguez

Moveover, if you are worried about someone getting into the source in the
dll then you could always use the community obfuscator (did i spell that
right) that comes with vs.net 2003..

Hope this helps!

From: "Mohammad Samara" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 01:05:11 -0000
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security

G.Gnana Arun Ganesh

hai

Obfuscators make it harder to decompile .NET IL into C#
code.

For more info on "Obfuscators", check
http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/csharp/tools/default.aspx

But if u deploy the following files:
*.aspx, *.asax, Web.config, and *.dll (from the bin
folder), I think there is no need for Obfuscators.

warm regards,
Arun Ganesh.
..NET MVP
Moveover, if you are worried about someone getting into the source in the
dll then you could always use the community obfuscator (did i spell that
right) that comes with vs.net 2003..

Hope this helps!

deploy the following files:
*.aspx,
*.asax, Web.config, and *.dll (from the bin folder);
"Alek Davis" <alek_xDOTx_davis_xATx_intel_xDOTx_com> wrote in message
Mohammad,

What Jim is saying is: You only need to you do not need to

Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 01:05:11 -0000
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
application (C# code
behind)

.

Jim Cheshire [MSFT]

One thing that might help Mohammad is to read the documentation on the
different options available when copying projects. If you choose "Only
files needed to run this application", VS.NET will only copy over those
files with a Build Action of Content. Your source files will have a Build
Action of Compile and will not be copied.

Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
Developer Support
ASP.NET
(e-mail address removed)