Encrypting web.config file

Alex. O. Koranteng

I am getting the error mesage indicated below when my code code hits the line
Configuration config = WebConfigurationManager.OpenWebConfiguration----
I am calling this class from a button on my page as shown below. Any
suggestions/help will be appreciated

using System;
using System.Web.Configuration;
using System.IO;
using System.Data;
using System.Configuration;
using System.Collections;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.Security;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;

public partial class EncDecWebConfig : System.Web.UI.Page
// load web.config into TextBox on first page visit...
if (!Page.IsPostBack)
{
RefreshWebConfig();

private void RefreshWebConfig()
{
// Read in the value of Web.config into the TextBox...
//using (StreamReader reader =
File.OpenText(Server.MapPath("~/Web.config")))
using (StreamReader reader =
File.OpenText(Server.MapPath("~/Web.config")))
{
webConfig.Text = reader.ReadToEnd();
}

// Programmatically read in the value of the connection string
PlainTextConnectionString.Text =
ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["MembershipConnectionString"].ConnectionString;
}

protected void btnRefreshWebConfig_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
RefreshWebConfig();
}

protected void btnEncrypt_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
ProtectSection("connectionStrings",
"DataProtectionConfigurationProvider");
RefreshWebConfig();
}

public void ProtectSection(string sectionName,
string provider)
{
Configuration config =
WebConfigurationManager.
OpenWebConfiguration(Request.ApplicationPath);

ConfigurationSection section =
config.GetSection(sectionName);

if (section != null &&
!section.SectionInformation.IsProtected)
{
section.SectionInformation.ProtectSection(provider);
config.Save();

Server Error in '/EncConfig1' Application.

Failed to map the path '/'.

Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Failed to map the path
'/'.

Source Error:

Line 73: string provider)
Line 74: {
Line 75: Configuration config =
Line 76: WebConfigurationManager.
Line 77: OpenWebConfiguration(Request

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Alex,

I tried your code and it works fine on my side. Could you try to create a
new project to test? Can it work?

If it still doesn't work could you send me the project? My email is
(e-mail address removed) update here after sending the project in case
I missed that email.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Community Support