Encrypting?

Paulo

Hi, I saw a MS application to encrypt/hide the asp classic source code. But
it was a long time ago.

Do you know it? Do you use it? How do I download it? If you have the link
please send me.

Thanks

Bob Barrows

Paulo said:
Hi, I saw a MS application to encrypt/hide the asp classic source
code. But it was a long time ago.

Do you know it? Do you use it? How do I download it? If you have the
link please send me.
Don't bother with it. It only "hides" the code from the honest guys. If you
must, try googling "script encrypter". Hint: you will get more hits if you
google "script decrypter".

Paulo

Why not? Thanks

Bob Barrows said:
You will NOT be preserving your source. Even (especially) with .Net

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

Bob Barrows

Because it's the nature of the beast. Anyone with Reflector (and this isn't
even required) can rebuild a dll's source code.
Face it, there is nothing you can do in ASP, or ASP.Net, that someone else
can't do. It's just not that hard to do.

There is no point to even thinking about "protecting" your source code.

Protect your sensitive data in other places.

Incidently, that is one place where classic ASP has .Net beat: if one
creates a COM dll, it is much harder to reverse-engineer what's in that dll.
Not to say it's impossible, but the result will never be exactly what your
source contains. Not that it really matters: there is nothing you can do
with ASP that someone else can't do. You can only protect yourself against
honest people. And you know what? You don't have to do ANYTHING to protect

Bob said:
Because it's the nature of the beast. Anyone with Reflector (and this
isn't even required) can rebuild a dll's source code. Face it, there
is nothing you can do in ASP, or ASP.Net, that someone else can't do.
It's just not that hard to do.

There is no point to even thinking about "protecting" your source
code.

Protect your sensitive data in other places.

Incidently, that is one place where classic ASP has .Net beat: if one
creates a COM dll, it is much harder to reverse-engineer what's in
that dll. Not to say it's impossible, but the result will never be
exactly what your source contains. Not that it really matters: there
is nothing you can do with ASP that someone else can't do. You can
only protect yourself against honest people. And you know what? You
don't have to do ANYTHING to protect yourself against honest people.
:)

Are you saying that the MS languages/platforms are not secure? The
asp.net generates a dll, so it can be decompiled? 100% reliable?
And the classic asp encrypted by the MS utility can also be easily
decrypted? Are you sure man?

What to trust?

Many thanks!

Bob Barrows

Paulo said:
Are you saying that the MS languages/platforms are not secure? The

What is the relevance of "platforms" here? And why limit the question to
"MS"? Are you telling me that there are uncrackable encrypters for other
scripting languages?

See
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/mar06/hey0309.mspx
asp.net generates a dll, so it can be decompiled? 100% reliable?

There are obfuscators that make the process harder, but even then, it is
possible for a determined person to reverse-engineer a .Net dll. Again, it's
the nature of the beast.

Real md5 encryption is possible for data contained in source code, but it's
not practical to truly encrypt source code.
And the classic asp encrypted by the MS utility can also be easily
decrypted? Are you sure man?

Of course I am. Did you not do the google I suggested for script decrypters?
Actually, "script decoder" gives better results. Here's one:
http://www.greymagic.com/security/tools/

If you use a real encrypter on your script, good luck getting it to run.