Encryption for stored procedure, is it possible?

Guoqi Zheng

Dear sir,

I am about to finish a new asp.net application, I used a lot of ms sql
stored procedure. Those stored procudure I think is the most important part
of the application.

Now I am about to distribute this application to clients. I definitely don't
like them to look at my stored procedure.

Is there a way I can protect the source code of my stored procedure? What
will you do in such a situation?

--
Kind regards

Guoqi Zheng
guoqi AT meetholland dot com
Http://www.meetholland.com

Guadala Harry

Two options I'm aware of:

1. Use the WITH ENCRYPTION option in the Create Procedure statement.
Look up the Create Procedure statement in BOL for more.

2. This company sells a product that will apply (supposedly) a much harder
encryption: http://www.allry.com/

-GH

Joe Fallon

The built in Encryption in SQL Server can be hacked in under 2 minutes with
a Google search.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

You might consider compiling the sql into your EXE instead of using a stored
procedure.

Scott Allen

The SQL Server optimizer is very good at caching dynamic SQL plans
these days. The use of stored procedures for a performance benefit is
very highly overrated - at least from the perspective of compiling and
optimization. Sprocs can still save round trips to the server, but the
pre-compiliation savings are almost negligible.