    There does seem to be some encryption support in Java but it isn't clear how
    to use it in place of the Perl functions mentioned.

    Cheers,
    Kevin, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Kevin

    Juha Laiho Guest

    "Kevin" <> said:
    >I am having problems finding Java equivalents for the Perl encode_base64,
    >used for encoding files for transmission, and crypt, used for encrypting
    >passwords, functions.

    For base64-encoding, it looks like Jakarta Commons Codec is the library
    you're looking for. See http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/codec/ .
    Other implementations also exist.

    For the other; see what you get with
    http://www.google.com/search?q=java "unix crypt"

    For the "unix crypt" support, if you're after something that fills the
    same functionality (one-way password hashing), but do not require
    compatibility with the Unix crypt() -hashes, I'd recommend hashing
    the passwords with either MD5 os SHA1 instead of the old DES-based
    crypt().
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland
    Juha Laiho, Dec 21, 2004