eng/rus in pages

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?L=FCpher_Cypher?=

Is there a way to combine english and russian characters in pages
without the use of unicodes (#xxxx;)? Unicode is fine, since it's always
displayed correctly, but it takes too much time to edit it..

Thanks,
lüph

David Dorward

Lüpher Cypher said:
Is there a way to combine english and russian characters in pages
without the use of unicodes (#xxxx;)? Unicode is fine, since it's always
displayed correctly, but it takes too much time to edit it..

Use real Unicode characters (instead of character references), save the
document with a Unicode character encoding[1] and ensure your server is
configured to inform clients that the document is encoded in Unicode[2].

[1] How you do this depends on your editor
[2] How you do this depends on your server

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?L=FCpher_Cypher?=

Well, I use Zend Studio, and I believe it does not support that - I went
through the preferences, but couldn't find anything. I can set unicode
font, but as soon as I reopen the file, it all turns to question marks.
Notepad, however, can save that in unicode. I am willing to edit that
particular file in it (it's a php with definitions). It seems to work so
far, thanks for the advice!
Do you, by any chance, know any good PHP IDE (not WYSIWYG or both
hand-code and WYSIWYG), such as Zend, that supports that?

Thanks again!
lüph

?

=?windows-1252?Q?L=FCpher_Cypher?=

Ok, it has worked ok on my local host, but as I uploaded it to a server
(one of the free ones), I got something that looks more like the
non-unicode chars (say, Про).. I have this as my header:

I've also noticed that when I view the source the page starts with:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1">
which obviously inserts 3 extra characters at the beginning - it does
not on my local host. As far as I know, they use some *nix system with
apache.
Any ideas if this could be fixed?

Thank you,
lüph

David said:
Lüpher Cypher wrote:

Is there a way to combine english and russian characters in pages
without the use of unicodes (#xxxx;)? Unicode is fine, since it's always
displayed correctly, but it takes too much time to edit it..

Use real Unicode characters (instead of character references), save the
document with a Unicode character encoding[1] and ensure your server is
configured to inform clients that the document is encoded in Unicode[2].

[1] How you do this depends on your editor
[2] How you do this depends on your server

Luigi Donatello Asero

Notepad, however, can save that in unicode.

How did you do that?
I do not find this option for Notepad (Anteckningar in Swedish)

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)

Luigi Donatello Asero

I guess you meant "Wordpad".
What is the doctype for Russian?

https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/ru/tes.html

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Guest

I have WinXP/Notepad. As soon as I tried to save a file with ru
encoding, it told me that I have unicode characters there, and offered
to choose the type I wish to save it in (press cancel) - after that,
choose utf-8 in the encoding field when saving and everything should be ok..

Guest

I don't think doctype has that much influence, as everything works fine
on my local server with en/ru/de encoding.. Here's the headers I use:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1">
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C/DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
<head>
<title></title><meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />
</head>

I believe the utf-8 is the crutial role in this :)

lüph

Luigi Donatello Asero

Lüpher Cypher said:
I have WinXP/Notepad. As soon as I tried to save a file with ru
encoding, it told me that I have unicode characters there, and offered
to choose the type I wish to save it in (press cancel) - after that,
choose utf-8 in the encoding field when saving and everything should be
ok..

I am using Win98/Wordpad on this computer.
WinXP does not seem to be compatible with the ftp program which I use at the
moment.
Which doctype do you use for Russian, anyway?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Luigi Donatello Asero

Lüpher Cypher said:
I don't think doctype has that much influence, as everything works fine
on my local server with en/ru/de encoding.. Here's the headers I use:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1">
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C/DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
<head>
<title></title><meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />
</head>

I believe the utf-8 is the crutial role in this :)

lüph

So do I!
But can I save the name of the files in Russian (cyrillic)?
Or is it better with Latin fonts?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
(sono italiano ma vivo in Svezia)
(Ñ Ð¸Ñ‚Ð°Ð»ÑŒÑнец но Ñ Ð¶Ð¸Ð²Ñƒ в Швеции )
(我是 æ„大利人 , 但是 我 ä½ åœ¨ ç‘žå…¸)
(minä olen Italian kansalainen, mutta minä asun Ruotsissa)
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Leif K-Brooks

Lüpher Cypher said:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1">

Your XML prolog claims that the page is encoded using ISO-8859-1...
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C/DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
<head>
<title></title><meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html;charset=utf-8" />

But the imitation Content-Type header says it's encoded using UTF-8.
Which is it?

rf

Luigi said:
I am using Win98/Wordpad on this computer.

Windows 98 is not in general unicode compliant unless you have installed the
Microsoft Layer for Unicode (which you have not or you would not be asking
this question).

And there is no difference between Notepad and Wordpad. In fact these
programs are not editors at all, they are simply wrappers for the inbuilt
Windows Common Controls, "edit" and "richedit".
WinXP does not seem to be compatible with the ftp program which I use at the
moment.

I doubt this. Generally if it runs on 98 it will run on XP.
Which doctype do you use for Russian, anyway?

The doctype has nothing at all to do with language. Language support is
handled by the charset.

Cheers
Richard.

Guest

Luigi said:
So do I!
But can I save the name of the files in Russian (cyrillic)?
Or is it better with Latin fonts?

It does not matter, it's just a filename. If your system supports it,
it'll be ok. But if the server does not, or you need to read a file with
a "non-standard" name from a server, it may not work. Filenames have
nothing to do with this..

lüph

Guest

Leif said:
Your XML prolog claims that the page is encoded using ISO-8859-1...

But the imitation Content-Type header says it's encoded using UTF-8.
Which is it?

It should be UTF-8. I am not that much familiar with XHTML XML doc
types, I just prefer to follow the rules :) If you can help me out with
that - namely, multi-language pages, and what the header should be,
that'd be more than welcome!

Thanks!
lüph

Guest

Luigi said:
ok..

I am using Win98/Wordpad on this computer.
WinXP does not seem to be compatible with the ftp program which I use at the
moment.
Which doctype do you use for Russian, anyway?

The ftp client you're using has nothing to do with it. The doctype, as
far as I know, does not define which lang you use, it is mostly info. It
is rather encoding that is used in meta tag. Although, I am not that
savvy, maybe some tags as doctype or something do make difference :) But
it's definetely not the ftp client.

lüph

David Dorward

Lüpher Cypher wrote:

Please do not top post.
Ok, it has worked ok on my local host, but as I uploaded it to a server
(one of the free ones), I got something that looks more like the
non-unicode chars (say, Ð?Ñ?о).. I have this as my header:

That is not your header. Meta http equivalent is not equivalent to real
http.
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/charset.html
I've also noticed that when I view the source the page starts with:

At a wild guess I would say that that was a BOM.
http://www.unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html#BOM

It shouldn't be visible if the file is being decoded by something that knows
what character encoding it was saved in.
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1">

Now your code is contradicting itself. UTF-8 and ISO-859-1 are DIFFERENT
encoding.

Alan J. Flavell

The doctype has nothing at all to do with language.

Right: the DOCTYPE specifies only the language of the DTD itself, and
for W3C DTDs that is always "en" (English).
Language support is handled by the charset.

Not officially, though. What "language" would you associate with
iso-8859-1, anyway? Or with utf-8, for that matter?

/Some/ browsers do make certain deductions about the language from
/some/ charsets if they don't get a better source of information about
the language. I have some observations on Mozilla discussed here:
http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/browsers-fonts.html#Mozilla
- although that doesn't include CJK, which may be where the language
support is more important than anywhere else, but that happens to be
outside my field of expertise, I'm afraid.

WAI guidelines call for there always to be a definition of the primary
language of a document on the <html> element, i.e <html lang="xx">. If
the document contains snippets on some other language, then they
should also be marked up with appropriate lang= attribute. (For
example, IBM HPR uses these to decide how to pronounce the item, if
the language is one of those which it supports.)

Mozilla, at least, will primarily use the lang= attribute, where
available, to influence choice of font to render each element, as I'm
sure do some other browsers. (Unless the author has specified the
font explicitly).

hope this helps

Alan J. Flavell

Your XML prolog claims that the page is encoded using ISO-8859-1...
But the imitation Content-Type header says it's encoded using UTF-8.
Which is it?

Amusingly, if the content was really encoded in us-ascii then neither
of them would actually be wrong ;-)

Luigi Donatello Asero

rf said:
Windows 98 is not in general unicode compliant unless you have installed the
Microsoft Layer for Unicode (which you have not or you would not be asking
this question).

Well, actually, I guess that I have already done it because I am posting in
UTF-8

And there is no difference between Notepad and Wordpad. In fact these
programs are not editors at all, they are simply wrappers for the inbuilt
Windows Common Controls, "edit" and "richedit".

I doubt this. Generally if it runs on 98 it will run on XP.

Well, actually, I said that because I tested it!
There is a new version of the software which seems to be compatible but I do
not know, yet, how to buy it without using credit cards, that mean by cash
or by invoice.
The doctype has nothing at all to do with language. Language support is
handled by the charset.

Ok.