Enhancing Membership system

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by David, Feb 6, 2008.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Hi all,

    I have looked for groups pertaining to membership but there appears to be
    none.

    I am working on a CMS system in .NET 2.0 and using the membership. However,
    there are limitations to membership that I need to override.

    I have seen...
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms366730(VS.80).aspx

    This doesn't quite answer my questions.

    Basically, the CMS system will have 3 administrative levels.

    Global Admin
    Site Admin
    Portal Admin

    Basically, the CMS can contain many sites. A global admin will monitor ALL
    of them.
    Each site can have many portals. A site admin administers ALL the portals.
    Each portal will be administered by a portal admin.

    Membership will register for a portal. The site admin may then make a
    registered portal member a member of another portal, so a single sign-on
    across multiple portals within the site.

    So, Each portal has a SiteID associated with it. Each portal has a UserBase
    (the userbase table basically being a lookup table, with the Membership
    UserID being linked to a PortalID)

    When a member logs in, I would assume that the membership system (the bit I
    have to write) has an array (of somesort) that can be accessed to find what
    portals the user has access to.

    How would I best approach this?

    Any help (even just pointers or just floating of ideas) would be very much
    appreciated as at the moment, having no membership experience, I am like a
    fish out of water.

    Best regards,
    Dave Colliver.
    http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
    ~~
    David, Feb 6, 2008

  2. David

    sloan Guest

    You need to look at

    RoleProvider

    in addition to the MembershipProvider.

    sloan, Feb 6, 2008

  3. David

    David Guest

    I will have a look now, thank you.

    Just quickly, how could RoleProvider help with my scenario?

    Best regards,
    Dave Colliver.
    http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
    ~~

    David, Feb 7, 2008
  4. The "Layers" that you described are roles. Roles are like User Groups in
    Windows. A Member is like a single User. By assigning Roles to Members, you
    can apply permissions to an entire Group.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Chicken Salad Surgeon
    Microsoft MVP

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 7, 2008
  5. David

    David Guest

    Thanks Kevin,

    Coming in to this project and being told of problems when I don't really yet
    understand how the membership system works and the previous developers
    telling me of their problems with the membership has naturally made me think
    deeper. (Probably too deep).

    I am now reading up on membership and roles to see how I can best implement
    this.
    --
    Best regards,
    Dave Colliver.

    David, Feb 7, 2008
  6. David

    David Guest

    Hi,

    Sorry, another quick question...

    With the layers / structure I have outlined, a site admin can give any
    person access to any portal within that site. (an application contains many
    sites, a site contains many portals). If I use the roles mechanism as
    outlined, what is to stop an admin from another site (site2) assigning roles
    to someone registered on the first site (site1) (either modifying site1
    persons permission or allowing site1 person access to site2 (or site2
    portals))

    --
    Best regards,
    Dave Colliver.

    David, Feb 7, 2008
  7. David

    sloan Guest

    My generic example is this:

    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet/msg/03e5ba3e5f64f5a9

    //
    the filtering is NOT handled by the membership or role provider. you have
    to do that. //

    The Membership and Role Providers are frameworks..they are not going to meet
    your exact requirements.

    sloan, Feb 7, 2008
  8. Hi David,

    The ASP.Net Role and Membership providers are highly configurable, and you
    can assign permissions all the way from a directory and its sub-trees to the
    page level, and even to the level of content within a page (with a little
    coding). So, as long as you configure your permissions correctly,
    administrators can be grouped, and assign specific permissions for specific
    areas.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer