Enhancing Membership system

David

Hi all,

I have looked for groups pertaining to membership but there appears to be
none.

I am working on a CMS system in .NET 2.0 and using the membership. However,
there are limitations to membership that I need to override.

I have seen...
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms366730(VS.80).aspx

This doesn't quite answer my questions.

Basically, the CMS system will have 3 administrative levels.

Global Admin
Site Admin
Portal Admin

Basically, the CMS can contain many sites. A global admin will monitor ALL
of them.
Each site can have many portals. A site admin administers ALL the portals.
Each portal will be administered by a portal admin.

Membership will register for a portal. The site admin may then make a
registered portal member a member of another portal, so a single sign-on
across multiple portals within the site.

So, Each portal has a SiteID associated with it. Each portal has a UserBase
(the userbase table basically being a lookup table, with the Membership
UserID being linked to a PortalID)

When a member logs in, I would assume that the membership system (the bit I
have to write) has an array (of somesort) that can be accessed to find what
portals the user has access to.

How would I best approach this?

Any help (even just pointers or just floating of ideas) would be very much
appreciated as at the moment, having no membership experience, I am like a
fish out of water.

Best regards,
Dave Colliver.
http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
~~

Kevin Spencer

The "Layers" that you described are roles. Roles are like User Groups in
Windows. A Member is like a single User. By assigning Roles to Members, you
can apply permissions to an entire Group.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Chicken Salad Surgeon
Microsoft MVP

David

Thanks Kevin,

Coming in to this project and being told of problems when I don't really yet
understand how the membership system works and the previous developers
telling me of their problems with the membership has naturally made me think
deeper. (Probably too deep).

I am now reading up on membership and roles to see how I can best implement
this.
--
Best regards,
Dave Colliver.

David

Hi,

Sorry, another quick question...

With the layers / structure I have outlined, a site admin can give any
person access to any portal within that site. (an application contains many
sites, a site contains many portals). If I use the roles mechanism as
outlined, what is to stop an admin from another site (site2) assigning roles
to someone registered on the first site (site1) (either modifying site1
persons permission or allowing site1 person access to site2 (or site2
portals))

--
Best regards,
Dave Colliver.

Kevin Spencer

Hi David,

The ASP.Net Role and Membership providers are highly configurable, and you
can assign permissions all the way from a directory and its sub-trees to the
page level, and even to the level of content within a page (with a little
coding). So, as long as you configure your permissions correctly,
administrators can be grouped, and assign specific permissions for specific
areas.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer