Enhancing User Experience One Control At A Time

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Ryan, May 20, 2007.

  1. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    Hello everyone,

    Here is what I would like to accomplish, I have a webpart 'portal'
    where each webpart is in an updatepanel. I would like the page to load
    and the webparts to load as they become available.

    Currently, the page renders after all controls/webparts are loaded.
    Then when there are postbacks, the updatepanels work great. Is there a
    way to do this with theses controls (built-in ajax.net type stuff) or
    will I need to finally delve into writing the ajax manually in the
    javascript :) I might be hoping for too much to do this auto-
    magically.

    Maybe asynchronous webparts would do the trick . . .

    Thanks and have a nice week!
    Ryan

    Ryan, May 20, 2007

  2. Ryan

    bruce barker Guest

    with just a little rework you can. have all the webparts render as
    invisible (and do as little as possible) or render "loading...". then on
    browser onload fire off the ajax to load them.

    for this to look nice you need to size the the webparts on the render
    correctly.

    note: the browser will limit connections to allow only 2 ajax requests
    at the same time. if you use session, then the server limits to one
    request being serviced at a time.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, May 21, 2007

  3. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    Hi Bruce, thanks for answering so quickly and the information! That is
    a great idea . . . and so simple! I can't wait to try it out . . .
    Thanks for the tips as well, I hadn't even considered that.

    Ryan

    Ryan, May 21, 2007