    be omitted.

    What are the best practices in this case?

    Thanks
    James Reynolds, Apr 12, 2008

  2. James Reynolds

    Arlen Cuss Guest

    On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 3:32 AM, James Reynolds <>
    wrote:

    > In the Ruby docs, the return_code function is listed as "Obsolete."

    It's not only obsolete; quick squiz at the code reveals it does nothing:

    def return_code
    $stderr.puts("warning: Net::FTP#return_code is obsolete and do
    nothing")
    return "\n"
    end

    The short answer is, net/ftp will (probably) throw an exception if something
    goes wrong. Try reading the code yourself, depending on what you do. I don't
    have experience with it, but hopefully a guru here does.
    (on my system [Ubuntu], I can find net/ftp's code at
    /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/net/ftp.rb)

    Cheers,
    Arlen.
    Arlen Cuss, Apr 13, 2008