ensuring GNU readline isn't used

Josh Paetzel

Is there a way to ensure that GNU readline isn't used (even though
support may have been compiled in?). I'm experiencing a licensing
problem, I'd like to use the "cmd" module, for example, but my code is
proprietary and hence, if cmd uses readline, I can't use cmd.
Unfortunately, I can't control if the Python interpreter my customers
may be using has readline compiled in. So, I'm wondering if there is
anyway to tell Python libraries like "cmd" to not use GNU's readline?

Alternatively, could we just include pyreadline as readline instead?

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

Duncan Booth

Josh Paetzel said:
Is there a way to ensure that GNU readline isn't used (even though
support may have been compiled in?). I'm experiencing a licensing
problem, I'd like to use the "cmd" module, for example, but my code is
proprietary and hence, if cmd uses readline, I can't use cmd.

I think you have misread the GPL: just because your non-GPL code *can* be
used with something covered by the GPL doesn't mean your code is infected
by the GPL. Your code doesn't require a GPL module to run (you can use a
version of cmd compiled without readline), and you aren't attempting to
distribute it with a GPL module, so you don't need to care how the end user
chooses to run it.

John J. Lee

Duncan Booth said:
I think you have misread the GPL: just because your non-GPL code *can* be
used with something covered by the GPL doesn't mean your code is infected
by the GPL. Your code doesn't require a GPL module to run (you can use a
version of cmd compiled without readline), and you aren't attempting to
distribute it with a GPL module, so you don't need to care how the end user
chooses to run it.

Indeed -- I recall coming across some commercial control &
data-acquisition software which was distributed with an inferior
readline work-alike library, but came with detailed instructions for
how to use GNU readline instead. All users who had the time and good
sense presumably linked with readline proper.

John

Ben Finney

Josh Paetzel said:
Is there a way to ensure that GNU readline isn't used (even though
support may have been compiled in?). I'm experiencing a licensing
problem

Note that the GPL (the license terms of readline) is like any other
valid copyright license in that it only restricts acts covered by
copyright. You have no responsibility to prevent others from using a
GPL-covered work.

Anyone may use a GPL-covered work they receive for any purpose without
further permission; nobody needs a copyright license for that (despite
what some copyright holders might prefer). Copyright covers acts of
copying and distribution, so you *do* need license to do those things
with someone's work.
but my code is proprietary

That's unfortunate. I hope you can fix that.
and hence, if cmd uses readline, I can't use cmd.

Not true; you can derive from and redistribute cmd, so long as you
comply with the license on cmd.