Ensuring one vote per person

Showjumper

I have built a rating server control. Whats the best way to ensure one vote
per person? Check IP Addresses and allow 1 vote per IP address or via
cookies?

Thanks
Ashok

Shawn Wildermuth (C# MVP)

Hello Showjumper" dfgkjhdf,

IP Address doesn't work because of proxy servers. I have to say that e-mail
address is the only way I can imagine it workign well.

Thanks,
Shawn Wildermuth
Speaker, Author and C# MVP
http://adoguy.com

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

IP addresses cannot be relied upon to be unique because of proxy server &
such.
The only reasonable way to be sure is to create an authentication system.
People sign up, get a user name and password, then they log in and vote.

Showjumper

Okay Thanks Shawn and Steve
Steve C. Orr said:
IP addresses cannot be relied upon to be unique because of proxy server &
such.
The only reasonable way to be sure is to create an authentication system.
People sign up, get a user name and password, then they log in and vote.

Showjumper

How is MSDN handling it? At the end of the articles, one can vote and if you
try to vote twice a popup appears.

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Some sites pass a cookie once you vote. Of course if you erase the cookie,
you could vote again so it isn't reliable.