Enter key symbol in HTML?

Noozer

Is there a special character(s) or ASCII codes that can be used to produce
the ENTER key symbol in HTML (Left arrow with the bent line)?

Trying to avoid using a graphic to show this symbol.

Thanks!

Philip Ronan

Noozer said:
Is there a special character(s) or ASCII codes that can be used to produce
the ENTER key symbol in HTML (Left arrow with the bent line)?

Trying to avoid using a graphic to show this symbol.

Short answer: ↵

Longer answer...

There are only 128 ASCII codes. I presume you meant "Unicode".

The official Unicode symbols are ⏎ ("RETURN SYMBOL") and ␍
("SYMBOL FOR CARRIAGE RETURN"), but neither are particularly well supported.

Another alternative is ↩ ("LEFTWARDS ARROW WITH HOOK").

But if it was down to me I'd use a graphic with " [Enter] " as the alt text,
then everyone's catered for.

Leif K-Brooks

Noozer said:
Is there a special character(s) or ASCII codes that can be used to produce
the ENTER key symbol in HTML (Left arrow with the bent line)?

Noozer

Leif K-Brooks said:

Thanks guys...

Unfortunately, in IE, I just get a square block character... My default font
is Comic-Sans.

I'll just use "ENTER" for the time being.

Jukka K. Korpela

Mark Parnell said:
What if your user's keyboard says "Return"? ;-)

Mine doesn't say anything. I'm afraid I have a dumb terminal.

I often write "Enter or Return key" simply because different people
know it under different names. If you write for technically educated
people, it probably doesn't matter which word you use.

Since different keyboards have different shapes and engravings for the
key(s), using an image is a bit questionable, and the special
characters wouldn't help much either.

Guest

Noozer said:
Is there a special character(s) or ASCII codes that can be used to produce
the ENTER key symbol in HTML (Left arrow with the bent line)?

Trying to avoid using a graphic to show this symbol.

Well, you could always use ^M :)

Jamie