    the ENTER key symbol in HTML (Left arrow with the bent line)?

    Trying to avoid using a graphic to show this symbol.

    Thanks!
    Noozer, Dec 14, 2004

  2. Noozer

    Philip Ronan Guest

    Noozer wrote:

    > Is there a special character(s) or ASCII codes that can be used to produce
    > the ENTER key symbol in HTML (Left arrow with the bent line)?
    >
    > Trying to avoid using a graphic to show this symbol.

    Short answer: ↵

    Longer answer...

    There are only 128 ASCII codes. I presume you meant "Unicode".

    The official Unicode symbols are ⏎ ("RETURN SYMBOL") and ␍
    ("SYMBOL FOR CARRIAGE RETURN"), but neither are particularly well supported.

    Another alternative is ↩ ("LEFTWARDS ARROW WITH HOOK").

    But if it was down to me I'd use a graphic with " [Enter] " as the alt text,
    then everyone's catered for.

    --
    phil [dot] ronan @ virgin [dot] net
    http://vzone.virgin.net/phil.ronan/
    Philip Ronan, Dec 14, 2004

    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 14, 2004
  4. Noozer

    Noozer Guest

    "Leif K-Brooks" <> wrote in message
    > Noozer wrote:
    > > Is there a special character(s) or ASCII codes that can be used to

    produce
    > > the ENTER key symbol in HTML (Left arrow with the bent line)?

    > ↵

    Thanks guys...

    Unfortunately, in IE, I just get a square block character... My default font
    is Comic-Sans.

    I'll just use "ENTER" for the time being.
    Noozer, Dec 14, 2004
  5. Noozer

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, Noozer <> said:

    > I'll just use "ENTER" for the time being.

    What if your user's keyboard says "Return"? ;-)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Dec 14, 2004
  6. Mark Parnell <> wrote:

    >> I'll just use "ENTER" for the time being.

    > What if your user's keyboard says "Return"? ;-)

    Mine doesn't say anything. I'm afraid I have a dumb terminal.

    I often write "Enter or Return key" simply because different people
    know it under different names. If you write for technically educated
    people, it probably doesn't matter which word you use.

    Since different keyboards have different shapes and engravings for the
    key(s), using an image is a bit questionable, and the special
    characters wouldn't help much either.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 14, 2004
  7. Noozer

    Guest

    Noozer <> wrote:
    > Is there a special character(s) or ASCII codes that can be used to produce
    > the ENTER key symbol in HTML (Left arrow with the bent line)?
    >
    > Trying to avoid using a graphic to show this symbol.

    Well, you could always use ^M :)

    Jamie
    (rot13) User Management Solutions
    , Dec 30, 2004