Enternal entities & namespace

Jiri Netolicky

Hi and happy new year to all.

I have a problem with including external entities
with namespace.

I have this master xml wrapper file:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<!DOCTYPE log4j:eventSet SYSTEM "log4j.dtd"
[<!ENTITY data SYSTEM "log.xml">]>

<log4j:eventSet version="1.2"
xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/">
&data;
</log4j:eventSet>

and file "log.xml" looks like this:

<log4j:event logger="cz.web.ContextListener"
timestamp="1136214913389" level="INFO" thread="ScannerThread">
<log4j:message><![CDATA[Destroying context]]></log4j:message>
<log4j:NDC><![CDATA[WebModule]]></log4j:NDC>
</log4j:event>

<log4j:event logger="cz.sap.SapFacade"
timestamp="1136214913391" level="INFO" thread="ScannerThread">
<log4j:message><![CDATA[Cleaning up]]></log4j:message>
<log4j:NDC><![CDATA[WebModule]]></log4j:NDC>
</log4j:event>

When I manualy replace "&data;" with the content of "log.xml"
the validation "xmllint -valid -noout" is OK. But when I try
to include "log.xml" as external entitity, validator reports
error:

log.xml:1: namespace error : Namespace prefix log4j on event is not defined

Also I have tried to remove namespaces from master xml, log.xml
and log4j.dtd and then the validation (with external entity) is OK.

What is the right syntax to namespace defined in master document
will be known during parsing external entity?

Thanks, Netolish

Bjoern Hoehrmann

* Jiri Netolicky wrote in comp.text.xml:
When I manualy replace "&data;" with the content of "log.xml"
the validation "xmllint -valid -noout" is OK. But when I try
to include "log.xml" as external entitity, validator reports
error:

log.xml:1: namespace error : Namespace prefix log4j on event is not defined

This seems a bug, Namespaces in XML 1.0 does not define well-formedness
for external parsed entities, and a namespace-unaware processor would,
when transforming the document to a standalone one as defined in XML
1.0, generate a namespace-well-formed document, so I don't really see a
reason for generating a namespace error here. I'd file a libxml2 bug.
What is the right syntax to namespace defined in master document
will be known during parsing external entity?

Well, declaring the prefix in the external entity would work and is
certainly a better practise, but I don't think it's clearly required.

Henry S. Thompson

RXP [1] is happy with your files as they are -- this looks like a bug
in xmllint.

ht

[1] http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~richard/rxp.html
Half-time member of W3C Team
Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: (e-mail address removed)