    other applications such as desktop applications.

    please advise. thanks

    , Jan 15, 2005

  2. David Segall Guest

    wrote:

    >I try to compare enterprise application development with traditional
    >software development. Looks like the major difference is that
    >enterprise application development has deployment phase, but not in
    >other applications such as desktop applications.
    >
    >please advise. thanks

    "Enterprise application" seems to be a term introduced by the major
    software vendors in order to extract as much money as possible from
    the customers they perceived as having the most to spend. From my
    observation the most significant factor they found was that enterprise
    applications involved a substantial database component. Here is a
    document that indicates the difference between Borland's JBuilder
    Foundation (free), Professional ($500.00), and Enterprise ($3,500.00)
    versions
    (http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/pdf/jb2005_feature_matrix.pdf). You
    will find that Microsoft and IBM have made similar distinctions with
    their development products.

    David Segall, Jan 15, 2005

  3. dar7yl Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I try to compare enterprise application development with traditional
    > software development. Looks like the major difference is that
    > enterprise application development has deployment phase, but not in
    > other applications such as desktop applications.

    The major difference is that "Enterprise" development is designed to look
    sexy to Fortune-500 wannabe executives. It is just another buzz-word to
    sell vastly inflated, under-designed, software that almost worked for one
    application, cobbled up to look like it works for everything, with flashy
    shrink-wrapped packaging, and corresponding price.

    For a perfect example, look at Crystal Reports, which used to be a good
    product.
    (see http://www.itbusiness.ca/index.asp?theaction=61&sid=57844 )
    As a developer, I tried to implement their enterprise solution, and while it
    may appear simple enough for a manager to use, it requires a full IT
    department to maintain. (and it still has a cruddy user interface)

    regards,
    Dar7yl

    dar7yl, Jan 15, 2005