enterprise application vs. enterprise system

jrefactors

what's the differences between enterprise application vs. enterprise
system? Can we say enterprise system contains > 1 enterprise
applications?

please advise. thanks!!

gimme_this_gimme_that

Well, if you know what a portal is .. Think of a portal application, or
a cohort of
portal applications as an enterprise system, think of a portlet as an
enterprise
application.

jrefactors

whats the differences between portal and portlet? Portal application
allows people to have their own customizations, thats my basic
understanding.

gimme_this_gimme_that

A portal is a portlet container.

A portal usually provides a security mechanism, a vender specific
implementation,
to control who gets to gets to see portlets, navigation items (client
side menus),
and pages.

One a given page you might have five or six portlets. The portlets
themselves might
be visible separate web sites.

A portal might have several web sites associated with it.

A portlet is a specific application. Like "Search for our US Offices"
could be an
example application for a portlet. "Manage US Offices" would be another
portlet.
However, only people designated as being authorized to see the
management
portlet would see it appear on the page.