    applications?

    please advise. thanks!!
    , Jan 15, 2005

    Well, if you know what a portal is .. Think of a portal application, or
    a cohort of
    portal applications as an enterprise system, think of a portlet as an
    enterprise
    application.
    , Jan 15, 2005

    whats the differences between portal and portlet? Portal application
    allows people to have their own customizations, thats my basic
    understanding.
    , Jan 15, 2005

    A portal is a portlet container.

    A portal usually provides a security mechanism, a vender specific
    implementation,
    to control who gets to gets to see portlets, navigation items (client
    side menus),
    and pages.

    One a given page you might have five or six portlets. The portlets
    themselves might
    be visible separate web sites.

    A portal might have several web sites associated with it.

    A portlet is a specific application. Like "Search for our US Offices"
    could be an
    example application for a portlet. "Manage US Offices" would be another
    portlet.
    However, only people designated as being authorized to see the
    management
    portlet would see it appear on the page.
    , Jan 15, 2005