Enterprise Library number jumble

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by GaryDean, Aug 2, 2007.

  1. GaryDean

    GaryDean Guest

    I now have installed (from the same install) Enterprise Library - January
    2006 and Enterprise Library - June 2005. The install for these two was
    called Enterprise Library for .Net 2.0. (not Enterprise Library 2.0). I
    then discovered that there is an Enterprise Library 3.1 - May 2007. So I
    want to install that because it is the latest.

    The instructions, however, say that if I already have Enterprise Library 3.0
    installed, I must uninstall it before installing 3.1. However the two
    versions I already have don't have a version number - they just say June
    2005 and January 2006 so I don't know if that is 3.0.

    The instructions also say that I can go ahead and install Enterprise Library
    3.1 when "2.0" is already installed. I'm wondering if they mean "Enterprise
    Library 2.0" or "Enterprise Library for .Net 2.0" ??

    The problem here is that Enterprise Library sometimes goes by the Month and
    year, sometimes it has a version number by itself, and sometimes it just
    says Enterprise Library for .Net 2.0"

    All this time I'm trying to remember that the purpose of all this is to save
    me time.

    Anyone understand this number jumble?

    --
    Regards,
    Gary Blakely

    GaryDean, Aug 2, 2007

  2. Hi Gary,

    Please make sure you download the EntLib from Microsoft download site
    instead of CodePlex, the open source workspace for the project.

    Although we released source code of EntLib on CodePlex, the purpose of it
    is to let community customize the EntLib to their own use. However, all
    downloads of EntLib on Microsoft site are created and maintained by
    Microsoft developers.

    Please check following official EntLib downloads:

    You will find following releases available:

    Latest Release: Enterprise Library 3.1 ¨C May 2007 (for .NET Framework 2.0
    and 3.0)
    Enterprise Library 3.0 ¨C April 2007 (for .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0)
    Earlier Release: Enterprise Library for .NET Framework 2.0, January 2006
    Earlier Release: Enterprise Library for .NET Framework 1.1, June 2005

    The reason that we keep all versions available is that:

    1) There're many breaking changes for v1 to v2 due to .NET Framework
    changes.
    2) Although we maintained most backward compatibility from v2 to v3, it's
    still not necessary to upgrade from v2 to v3, especially for those already
    largely incorporated v2 in their code, instead, they can get small patches
    accordingly. Therefore we still keep all versions available.

    Hope this clarifies a bit. Let me know if there's anything else unclear.

    Regards,
    Walter Wang (, remove 'online.')
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    Walter Wang [MSFT], Aug 2, 2007