ENTERPRISE REPORTING (HELP) - CRYSTAL REPORTSS

crazygrape

Hi All,

I'm having a terrible time installing crystal reports 10 on Tomcat. I've
followed the instructions on the business objects website forums and
knowledge base literally, but keep getting a 'report not found in
configuration file' error.

Does anyone have any tips as to how to setup and configure crystal reports
(java components) on Tomcat and other application servers (e.g. jboss,
websphere, sun1 app server)?

Would anyone suggest another enterprise reporting package other than CR?
(that doesn't cost a fortune), and is more reliable than JasperReports?

Thanks in advance

SG
(e-mail address removed)

Alex Molochnikov

We have developed a Report Generator named Scribe. It is about to be
released as a fully supported product. At this moment you can get it at:
http://www.gestalt.com/Scribe, login: guest, password: star.

The single-user version (Personal) is free. The multi-user version
(Enterprise) is $495 for 5 concurrent users.

The release will likely happen next week.

Alex Molochnikov
Gestalt Corporation

Jan M. Nelken

Alex said:
The single-user version (Personal) is free. The multi-user version
(Enterprise) is $495 for 5 concurrent users.

You neglected to tell that what you call "free" - in fact is 30 days trial -
here is quote from your Web Page:

"If you choose running Scribe in Demo mode, the following limitations will apply:

* report pages show "DEMO" watermark printed across the page
* updates to the database tables (insert, update or delete rows) done
through Process procedures, are rolled back

You can request a fully-enabled 30-day license. In this case the following
window will apper:..."

Little omission you forgot to mention when posting to multiple newsgroups?

Jan M. Nelken

Alex Molochnikov

Jan,

I did not neglect anything. The Personal version IS free. The website you
looked at is a temporary location and does not list all info. E.g., the
price of $495 for the Enterprise edition is not even shown there.

As for the 30-day license: the quoted web page does not say that once the
license expires the user cannot get the permanent one, or that the permanent
license will cost something. When that page was composed, the issue of
pricing was not even discussed inside Gestalt. What was known then is that
the Personal version will have to be made as easy to get as possible. If the
trial period remains, it will be for the sake of us being able to tell how
many "real" users have Scribe. That is, since a freebee carries no monetary
cost, the fact that a hundred thousand people downloaded it does not mean
that they actually use it. On the other hand, if someone wants to use Scribe
after the expiry date, and requests the license, then we can have some
confidence that Scribe is indeed used productively. Either way, the users
will be alerted to this before they download anything.

I can uderstand your skepticism when you get spam promising you something
(usually everything) for nothing, but here you have this from me - one of
the key developers at Gestalt - and still refuse to believe it, and instead
of looking at the product, spend your time and effort in search of hidden
mousetraps.

If you want the proof of the above statement, download and install Scribe
Personal, register the license (the process is automatic), and I will
personally send you the non-expiring license on the same day.

Alex Molochnikov
Gestalt Corporation
www.gestalt.com