    that the students will enjoy. Does anyone have a good
    example I could use? Thanks in advance.

    George W. Cherry

    George Cherry, May 23, 2007

  2. George Cherry

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "George Cherry" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > I'm tutoring teen-agers at Traip Academy in Southern
    > Maine. The classes are completely elective on the kids'
    > part, and I try to make the classes entertaining. I'm on
    > the lookout for short programs that are not too complex
    > that the students will enjoy. Does anyone have a good
    > example I could use? Thanks in advance.

    The answer seems to depend entirely on the student's skill level and
    background, what their interests are, and how these programs are to be
    presented to them.

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, May 23, 2007

  3. "Oliver Wong" <> wrote in message
    > "George Cherry" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> I'm tutoring teen-agers at Traip Academy in Southern
    >> Maine. The classes are completely elective on the kids'
    >> part, and I try to make the classes entertaining. I'm on
    >> the lookout for short programs that are not too complex
    >> that the students will enjoy. Does anyone have a good
    >> example I could use? Thanks in advance.

    > The answer seems to depend entirely on the student's skill level and
    > background, what their interests are, and how these programs are to be
    > presented to them.
    >
    > - Oliver

    They are about 15-16 years old and have had
    about 20 hours of exposure to Java. (I tutor them
    pro bono.) They're not ready for my book

    http://sdm.book.home.comcast.net/

    where my head is. That's why I asked for help.

    George

    George Cherry, May 23, 2007
  4. George Cherry

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "George Cherry" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > "Oliver Wong" <> wrote in message
    >> "George Cherry" <> wrote in
    >> message news:...
    >>> I'm tutoring teen-agers at Traip Academy in Southern
    >>> Maine. The classes are completely elective on the kids'
    >>> part, and I try to make the classes entertaining. I'm on
    >>> the lookout for short programs that are not too complex
    >>> that the students will enjoy. Does anyone have a good
    >>> example I could use? Thanks in advance.

    >> The answer seems to depend entirely on the student's skill level and
    >> background, what their interests are, and how these programs are to be
    >> presented to them.
    >>

    > They are about 15-16 years old and have had
    > about 20 hours of exposure to Java. (I tutor them
    > pro bono.) They're not ready for my book
    >
    > http://sdm.book.home.comcast.net/
    >
    > where my head is. That's why I asked for help.

    (After a quick look at your site) I suspect your students will not get
    very excited about a program whose sole purpose is to get you to click on
    a "Hello World" button 10 times, counting the number of clicks made. But
    then again, I still don't know anything about your student's interests.
    I'm assuming "20 hours of exposure" is something along the lines of "heard
    the term 'compiler', but hasn't actually used one yet."

    What's the goal here? Some example answers:

    (a) These are students who are already enthusiastic about programming,
    and so you want to get right into teaching programming with Java without
    killing that enthusiasm with otherwise boring theoretical stuff.

    (b) These students are "into" computers, as shown by their electing to
    come here, but they've no particular interest in programming. You want to
    introduce them to the wonderful world of programming.

    (c) These students have no idea what to expect, and you want to give
    them a taste of what computer science (contrast with programming itself)
    is all about.

    etc.

    If "entertainment" truly is the only motivation, and it has to somehow
    involve Java, just let them play around with
    http://bytonic.de/html/jake2.html all day. Assuming you want the students
    to actually look at the Java code, it's not clear to me whether you expect
    the code or the program to be entertaining. If the former, I'm not sure
    how entertaining Java code can be unless the viewer actually knows a
    decent amount of Java.

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, May 23, 2007
  5. Try the book "Best of Ruby Quiz".

    These programs are fairly short and shouldn't be to hard to convert to
    Java.
    --
    Regards,
    Casey