Enthought Python + Cygwin

RMJ

After installing Enthought's python and typing 'python' from within cygwin
the program hangs with no output. I do not remember this being the case
with earlier versions of Enthought python. Is this version not compatible
with cygwin? Or, is there some configuration file that needs changing? It
does run successfully with 'python somecode.py' -but without printing out
intermediate results.

Thanks!

-Roger Jones

Jason Tishler

Roger,

After installing Enthought's python and typing 'python' from within
cygwin the program hangs with no output. I do not remember this being
the case with earlier versions of Enthought python. Is this version
not compatible with cygwin? Or, is there some configuration file that
needs changing? It does run successfully with 'python somecode.py'
-but without printing out intermediate results.

There are some known "tty" issues when running native Win32 programs
under Cygwin. They typical manifest themselves under rxvt and (IIRC)
when CYGWIN=tty. Try using bash (instead of rxvt) and CYGWIN=notty.

BTW, Cygwin Python does not have any of these issues. If you don't need
any Win32 Python features, then you may want to use this version
instead.

Jason

RMJ

Jason,

Adding a line Set CYGWIN="notty" in the Cygwin-Tcsh.bat file now enables me
to run Enthought python. Thank you for your help! I like this version
because it has the Scipy packages, etc pre-installed.

-Roger Jones

Jason Tishler

Roger,

Adding a line Set CYGWIN="notty" in the Cygwin-Tcsh.bat file now
enables me to run Enthought python. Thank you for your help!

You are quite welcome.
I like this version because it has the Scipy packages, etc
pre-installed.

No problem. I mentioned Cygwin Python just in case CYGWIN=notty didn't
work.

Jason