Entity Generics Question

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by dohzer, Aug 21, 2009.

  1. dohzer

    dohzer

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    I'm declaring the following interface and getting the following error:

    Code:
    entity entity_a is
    	generic
    	(
    		SIG_A_WIDTH 		: integer := 16;
    		SIG_B_WIDTH 		: integer := 2;
    		SIG_C_WIDTH		: integer := SIG_WIDTH_A - SIG_WIDTH_B;
    	);

    	port
    	(
    		blah
    	);
    end entity_a;
    Code:
    Object 'sig_a_width' cannot be used within the same interface as it is declared
    I want to be able to define "SIG_C_WIDTH" as a function of the other two widths, so is there an easier and/or more correct way to do it? Should I be declaring it in a separate package or somewhere else in the code?

    dohzer, Aug 21, 2009