    instantiating 10,000 EBs.

    Is it a good idea to use EntityBeans?

    -Ray
    Ray, Oct 31, 2003

  2. Ray

    Bjoern Guest

    Ray wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Can anyone here share their experiences with EntityBeans? I heard that
    > there is a performance issue using it since an instance of an
    > EntityBean represents a row in a table and updating 10,000 rows means
    > instantiating 10,000 EBs.
    >
    > Is it a good idea to use EntityBeans?

    It's not a good idea to use them just to represents rows in a table. I
    think they are meant to encapsulate more 'coarse grained' business
    logic/functionality. I guess 'updating 10000 rows' could be an example
    for such a function. Even Sun themselves recommend using extra Data
    Access Objects for some kinds of Database use.

    It's definitely easy to get it wrong with entity beans and really create
    performance issues.

    Bjoern

    --

    Let's not weep for their evil deeds,