Enumarating through client's directory structure and upload multiple files to server

Guest

Hi

I am building an web based .NET Application which allows users to specify a directory location from it's machine, and when it press publish it uploads all the files and subfolders folders from that directory to server. I just want to know if there is any mathod in .net which allow me to browse through client's directory structure programatically and give me subfolders and files info to upload them on server. I have build similar app using directory object. but it works only on server not client to server. Any help in this will be much appriciated

regards
Nilesh

Michael Ramey

Not easy...
You are going to need to write/get an activex control to do something like
that. You can imagine for security purposes that browsing/uploading from
the client is a big no no. The closest thing to that is using the <input
type=file /> tag, which allows the client to select ONE file which can be
posted and you can save that to the server. But if you are looking into
uploading entire directory structures, that tag wouldn't suffice. Honestly
I'd look into creating a windows forms application that would ftp the files
up, or just teach the client how to ftp with their own ftp client program,
either way would be much easier than doing what you want through a webpage.

HTH,
--Michael

SharepointKida said:
Hi,

I am building an web based .NET Application which allows users to specify
a directory location from it's machine, and when it press publish it uploads
all the files and subfolders folders from that directory to server. I just
want to know if there is any mathod in .net which allow me to browse through
client's directory structure programatically and give me subfolders and
files info to upload them on server. I have build similar app using
directory object. but it works only on server not client to server. Any help
in this will be much appriciated.

Tommy

I don't think it is possible using just HTML and javascript. It will
be a security hole if javascript can do that. However, you can have
the client download a .NET component, and use that component to
retrieve the client's directory structure.

Tommy,