EnvelopedCMS and MailMessage [.NET 2.0 - VB_VS2005]

VIOT Yves

Hi all,
I'm new in VS2005 (and .NET framework 2.0) and i have a problem with
envelopedCMS and MaiMessage objects. I can't make it work. I've tried
several things but it doesn't work. I would like to know if anybody have
a code example ? The only thing i'm sure is that recipients and
certificates are ok. I seems to be a problem with the envelopedCMS
encapsulation in the MailMessage, and i think that it commes from the
headers.
Thx all...

Yves VIOT

Joe Kaplan

I'm very curious about this too. I know how to create the EnvelopedCms
message, but I'm also not sure about how to get it into the mail message in
the proper MIME format so that common mail clients think it is proper SMIME.

What you might do is create an enveloped message in a mail client and then
look at the raw message data to see how the body parts are composed.

It may also be necessary to mess around with System.Net.Mime to get the body
parts working correctly. Hopefully this doesn't require using CDO via COM
interop.

Joe K.

VIOT Yves

Re...
In fact my code is below.. I don't know if the scheme is correct. I've
noticed something very strange. The headers i've add (also tried set)
are duplicate with those that the smtpclient add ???

content-type: application/pkcs7-mime; smime-type=enveloped-data
content-disposition: attachment;FileName="smime.p7m"
mime-version: 1.0
From: (e-mail address removed)
To: (e-mail address removed)
date: 18 Oct 2006 17:50:42 +0200
subject: Test
content-type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
content-transfer-encoding: base64
Dim envelop As System.Security.Cryptography.Pkcs.EnvelopedCms
Dim content As System.Security.Cryptography.Pkcs.ContentInfo
Dim unicode As New System.Text.UnicodeEncoding
Dim alg As System.Security.Cryptography.Pkcs.AlgorithmIdentifier
Dim recipient As System.Security.Cryptography.Pkcs.CmsRecipient

alg = New System.Security.Cryptography.Pkcs.AlgorithmIdentifier( _
New Oid("1.2.840.113549.3.7", "3des"), 128)

content = _
New System.Security.Cryptography.Pkcs.ContentInfo( _
unicode.GetBytes((New System.IO.StreamReader(str_File)).ReadToEnd))

recipient = New System.Security.Cryptography.Pkcs.CmsRecipient( _
GetRecipientCert)

envelop = New System.Security.Cryptography.Pkcs.EnvelopedCms(content, alg)
envelop.Encrypt(recipient)

obj_SMTPClient = New SmtpClient(str_MailSMTPServer, _
str_MailSMTPServerPort)

obj_Message = New MailMessage(str_From, str_To, "Test",
unicode.GetString(envelop.Encode()))
obj_Message.Headers.Remove("Content-Type")
obj_Message.Headers.Add("Content-Type", "application/pkcs7-mime;
smime-type=enveloped-data")
obj_Message.Headers.Add("Content-Disposition",
"attachment;FileName=""smime.p7m""")

obj_SMTPClient.Send(obj_Message)

Joe Kaplan

I'm not a MIME expert, but I'm pretty sure you don't add the headers
directly to the message itself. You need to create a body part with the
correct disposition. I'd suggest poking around in System.Net.Mime and see
if you can get what you need there.

Joe K.

VIOT Yves

Ok thanks i'll take a look tomorrow... (in France it's time to sleep...)
Goodbye & good night

Joe Kaplan a écrit :

VIOT Yves

Hi,
I'm investigating... I've tried to force pkcs9 attributes
unsuccessfully.. I've posted 2 bug report on connect.microsoft.com this
week but i think it is too early to obtain a response. i've though an
ugly solution which could be to save the message and to remove
duplicates headers, but the duplicate headers are added by the send
method of the smtpclient.
Keep in touch, i'll post an example if i get news...
Bye

Yves