    I search a solution where I can use environment variables with java. The
    method getenv(String) is deprecated???

    Thx pascal
    Ruppen Pascal, Oct 21, 2003

  2. Hello

    I think it's not possible !

    Greets

    Christian Zimmermann, Oct 21, 2003

  3. Ruppen Pascal wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I search a solution where I can use environment variables with java. The
    > method getenv(String) is deprecated???

    And with good reasons. Environment variables work quite differently
    on different operating systems. If you really need them, use Runtime.exec()
    to get the variables from the shell.
    Michael Borgwardt, Oct 21, 2003
  4. "Michael Borgwardt" <> wrote in message
    > Ruppen Pascal wrote:
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I search a solution where I can use environment variables with java. The
    > > method getenv(String) is deprecated???

    > And with good reasons. Environment variables work quite differently
    > on different operating systems.

    As do files and threads; how foolish of Java to support *them*. An
    environment variable abstraction would actually be quite useful.

    One thing you can do is run your Java program from a shell script/batch
    file/etc. that generates -Dname=value flags for the relevant environment
    variables, turning them into system properties.
    Mike Schilling, Oct 21, 2003
  5. Ruppen Pascal

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Oct 21, 2003
  6. Ruppen Pascal

    Neal Gafter Guest

    Yes, we removed support for them in a previous release. Sorry. They'll be back
    in J2SE 1.5.0.

    Neal Gafter, Oct 22, 2003