Environment Variables

Krishna

Environment variable set up is the most confusing part for me all the
time. Please help me with the following questions:

When I install python in a new system, I will go to environment
variables (system variables) and set "path" pointing to C:\Python25
and thats all I do.
I type python from "cmd" window and its converting to python window
for python execution. All fine up to this point.
Now, I want to drag and drop python (.py) files to this window and
execute it. My python files are located in different directories
inside C: and outside C:. When I do that, I get errors and the file is
not found and its not imported. ALso, inside the .py file, if I have a
command to open a different file, it doesnt see that either. How do I
overcome these basic difficulties in python. I wish I can open any
file and work on that using python.

Thanks for your help!
Krishna

Mike Driscoll

[...]

I'm pretty sure you can't do that in a command window. I tried it on
my Windows XP machine and all I get in my instance of IDLE is the path
to the file. It DOES work with PythonWin, which is the ActiveState
version of Python. The only difference is that it include the win32
modules and has a more advanced editor.

You can probably get this to work in other more advanced editors, like
WingIDE or PyDev too.

Mike

Steve Holden

Krishna said:
Environment variable set up is the most confusing part for me all the
time. Please help me with the following questions:

When I install python in a new system, I will go to environment
variables (system variables) and set "path" pointing to C:\Python25
and thats all I do.
I type python from "cmd" window and its converting to python window
for python execution. All fine up to this point.
Now, I want to drag and drop python (.py) files to this window and
execute it. My python files are located in different directories
inside C: and outside C:. When I do that, I get errors and the file is
not found and its not imported. ALso, inside the .py file, if I have a
command to open a different file, it doesnt see that either. How do I
overcome these basic difficulties in python. I wish I can open any
file and work on that using python.
http://www.python.org/doc/faq/windows/#how-do-i-run-a-python-program-under-windows

regards
Steve

Krishna

I'm pretty sure you can't do that in a command window. I tried it on
my Windows XP machine and all I get in my instance of IDLE is the path
to the file. It DOES work with PythonWin, which is the ActiveState
version of Python. The only difference is that it include the win32
modules and has a more advanced editor.

You can probably get this to work in other more advanced editors, like
WingIDE or PyDev too.

Mike- Hide quoted text -

So, how do I get the win32 module and what to do with that? Just
install it?

Thanks,
Krishna

Mike Driscoll

So, how do I get the win32 module and what to do with that? Just
install it?

Thanks,
Krishna

ActivePython can be found on the ActiveState website:

http://www.activestate.com/Products/activepython/?_x=1

This will basically just add whatever modules needed if Python is
already installed and it will also install another editor called
pythonwin, which you should be able to find in your start menu.

But be sure to check out that link that Steve gave you. That might
work for you too.

Mike