equality of non-type template arguments

matthias.neubauer

14.4 Type equivalence [temp.type] states, that ...
"Two template-ids refer to the same class or function if [...] their
non-type template-arguments of integral
or enumeration type have identical values ... [..]."

And 14.3.2 Template non-type arguments, para 5 [temp.arg.nontype] says
that
"for a non-type template-parameter of integral or enumeration type,
integral promotions (4.5) and integral
conversions (4.7) are applied."

However, a recent g++ gives me an error (error: could not convert
template argument ‘1’ to ‘E’) when compiling the following translation
unit. After reading the cited paragraphes of the standard I reckon
this would be legal!?!

Regards,

Matthias

enum E {