Equation parsing

gamehack

Hi all,

I was thinking about parsing equations but I can't think of any generic
approach. Basically I have a struct called math_term which is something
like:
struct math_term {
char sign;
int constant;
int x;
int y;
int xpower;
int ypower;
}

For example say the user inputs this:
6x^2-8x^3+5
Then this would be transformed to 3 structs
6x^2: sign = '+'; constant = 6; x = 1; y = 0; xpower = 2; ypower = 0;
-8x^3: sign = '-'; constant = 8; x = 1; y = 0; xpower = 3; ypower = 0;
+5: sign = '+'; constant = 5; x = 0; y = 0; xpower = 0; ypower = 0;

My problem is getting the input into my structured form. Also I was
thinking of implementing brackets but I wasn't sure what datastructure
to use to hold all the terms. A linked list probably? Or a bin tree? I
wasn't able to figure out how to handle the case
(6x^2 + 3x)/(9x^3)

Any pointers on how to proceed from here are greatly appreciated. I
just need the general idea how to go about the problem and I'll figure
out how to implement it. Thanks

Jordan Abel

[...]

There's a specific kind of tree that's useful for this, and you'd
basically have a node that is either a number or an operator with
further nodes below it

(warning, beware the fixed-font ascii diagrams)

for 6x^2-8x^3+5 you'd have

+
.'.
- 5
.' .
* *
..'. .'.
6 ^ 8 ^
.'. .'.
x 2 x 3

For (6x^2+3x)/(9x^3), you'd get this

/
. ' .
+ *
. ' . .'.
* * 9 ^
..'. .'. .'.
6 ^ 3 x x 3
.'.
x 2

Julian V. Noble

gamehack said:
[...]

Have a look at the "dragon book":

"Compilers, principles, techniques, and tools"
by Alfred V. Aho, Ravi Sethi and Jeffrey D. Ullman
(Addison-Wesley Pub. Co., 1986)

They discuss all the methods.

I personally employ recursive descent, using a stack that holds pointers
to the sub-expressions and operators. Others prefer a tree structure. Yet
others like the "operator precedence grammar". There is a notation called
Backus-Naur Format (BNF) for expressing how parsers work. It is described
in the dragon book. A mini-Fortran parser I wrote uses these rules:

----------------------------- Backus-Naur Rules for mini FORTRAN
NOTATION:
| -> "or",
+ -> "unlimited repetitions"
Q -> "empty set"
& -> + | -
% -> * | /

NUMBERS:
fp# -> {-|Q}{digit.digit+ | .digit digit+} exponent
exponent -> {dDeE {&|Q} digit {digit|Q} {digit|Q} | Q}

FORMULAS:
assignment -> id = expression
id -> name | name {+ Forth }+ --curly braces balance!
name -> letter {letter|digit}+
arglist -> ( expression {,expression}+ )
function -> id arglist
expression -> term | expression & term
term -> factor | term % factor
factor -> id | fp# | ( expr ) | f^f | function
------------------------------------------ end Backus-Naur Rules

Consider an "expression": the rules say it can be either a "term" or
a "term" joined to an "expression" (that is, a sub-expression) by a +
or - . This is a natural for recursion, since after finding a + or -
and peeling off the leading term the expression-parsing function can
then call itself using the pointers to the sub-expression (everything
to the right of the + or - ) as input.

Doing things in this order is "left-to-right" or LR parsing. There is
no rule that you couldn't do it from right to left.

But as I note, this is not the only way to proceed, and lots of people
prefer to do it other ways.

--
Julian V. Noble
Professor Emeritus of Physics

http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/~jvn/

more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious
day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last
and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."

--- H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Paul Connolly

/*
The most flexible approach I can think of is the language Prolog, where new
operators can be defined by programs - e.g. in a Prolog program you can
extend the language by defining new operators e.g. 'blah' or '=>>>", while
in say C++ you have to stick to re-defining the existing operators.

In any language expressions can be though of as trees
infix op prefix op postfix op
/ \ \ /
exp1 exp2 exp exp
or at the lowest level, very simple terminal one-node trees e.g.
identifier (e.g. x, y, i, val), or literal ( 1, 1.0, 1E-4, "Fred"), or
function call ( func( exp1,..., expn) )

First define fixity or associativity of your ops... */
enum fixity {
fx, /* prefix operator f where (operated on) where x stands for an
expression of lower precedence*/
fy, /* prefix operator f where y stands for an expression of equal or
lower precedence
e.g. f=unary - f=or unary + parsed as +(+(-exp)) */
xfx, /*infix operator f where precedence of left & right expression is
lower precedence
e.g. >,>,>=,<= i.e. exp > exp > exp is illegal
xfy, /* right associative infix op f, a f (b f c) */
yfx, /* left associative infix ops e.g f=- and (a-b)-c */
/*there are no yfy operators because these would be ambiguous*/
xf, /*postfix op f on argument of lower precedence*/
yf /*postfix op f on argument of equal or lower precedence*/

}
/*
The pecedence of a terminal symbol (literal constant or an identifier or a
function call) is zero.
The precedence of an expression is the precedence of the operator "at the
top of the expession tree"
*/

struct op_def {
char *op; /* e.g. "+", "-", */
int precedence;
enum fixity; /* e.g. fx, fy, xfx, xfy, yfx, xf, yf*/
};
/*
then get your recursive greedy parser to generate expression trees and carry
around the highest precedence of an expression it is willing to accept in
the current context - if it has finished parsing an expression and it sees
the
next symbol is an op then look at the op table for the fixity and precedence
of the op at the top of the tree you have just parsed and the op that is
you continue decide which op goes at the top of the new tree
*/

gamehack

Julian said:
Have a look at the "dragon book":

"Compilers, principles, techniques, and tools"
by Alfred V. Aho, Ravi Sethi and Jeffrey D. Ullman
(Addison-Wesley Pub. Co., 1986)

They discuss all the methods.

I personally employ recursive descent, using a stack that holds pointers
to the sub-expressions and operators. Others prefer a tree structure. Yet
others like the "operator precedence grammar". There is a notation called
Backus-Naur Format (BNF) for expressing how parsers work. It is described
in the dragon book. A mini-Fortran parser I wrote uses these rules:

----------------------------- Backus-Naur Rules for mini FORTRAN
NOTATION:
| -> "or",
+ -> "unlimited repetitions"
Q -> "empty set"

[...]

Do you have any online tutorials that explain how to do the parsing
with a stack and/or a tree? Thanks a lot

PS. I did google but couldn't find anything relevant

Paul Connolly

enum fixity; /* e.g. fx, fy, xfx, xfy, yfx, xf, yf*/

should have been
enum fixity fixity_of_op; /* e.g. fx, fy, xfx, xfy, yfx, xf, yf*/