    C++ class uses Borland examples and when I go to the lab, we work with
    MS Visual C++ 6.0 Does someone have a list of differences /
    equivalents to help me through this? Thanks.
    Allen F., Dec 15, 2004

  2. Allen F.

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Allen F." <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Can you believe it? The lecture portion of my university introductory
    > C++ class uses Borland examples and when I go to the lab, we work with
    > MS Visual C++ 6.0

    Yes, I believe it. Both are C++ translators, but from
    different vendors. E.g. I first learned how to drive
    in a Volkswagon, but the first car I owned was a Chevrolet.
    Driving is driving. :)

    >Does someone have a list of differences /
    > equivalents to help me through this?

    Any differences would be in platform-specific stuff
    and extensions, specialty libraries, etc. The C++
    language itself remains the same. It's only the
    (standard) language that's topical here. Of course,
    with any vendor, the implementation won't be perfect
    (known as the level of conformance with the language
    standard). So imo it would be topical to discuss the
    behavior of a given compiler in the interest of determining
    standard-conformance. But product comparisons would not
    be topical here.

    So as long as you stay with the standard language, it should
    not matter which compiler you use.

    However, both Borland C++ and Microsoft C++ target the Windows
    platforms, so though not identical, they share a great deal
    of features and behaviors with regard to Windows. IMO either
    one is fine to use. IMO it's mostly a personal preference issue.

    Also, imo it's a good idea to have more than one compiler anyway.
    If one can't do what you need, you have an alternative. You can
    also compare the quality (e.g. performance) of the resulting code
    and use the one that give the best results.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Dec 15, 2004

  3. "Mike Wahler" <> wrote in message
    > "Allen F." <> wrote in message
    ><SNIPPED>
    > Also, imo it's a good idea to have more than one compiler anyway.
    > If one can't do what you need, you have an alternative. You can
    > also compare the quality (e.g. performance) of the resulting code
    > and use the one that give the best results.
    >

    > -Mike

    I agree with your IMO on this one. The vendor-specific features that are
    included with a particular compiler can reduce development time
    substantially, and it's a matter of the programmer being familiar with the
    extras available. If adhering to the ANSI C++ standard, then either compiler
    will do the trick quite well.

    Have a g'day.
    C++ Programmer, Feb 9, 2005
  4. > "Mike Wahler" <> wrote in message
    > > "Allen F." <> wrote in message
    > ><SNIPPED>
    > > Also, imo it's a good idea to have more than one compiler anyway.
    > > If one can't do what you need, you have an alternative. You can
    > > also compare the quality (e.g. performance) of the resulting code
    > > and use the one that give the best results.
    > >

    > > -Mike

    I totally agree with this. I use 5 compilers regularly and never regret it.
    The amount of time you can save just be seeing another [differently stated]
    error message is sometimes phenomenal. Microsoft error messages are
    the most obscure next to GCC. Borland's seem to be the most clear.

    Nathaniel L. Walker
    Nathaniel L. Walker, Feb 9, 2005