Erractic timeout behaviour with IIS 5.0 and using C# and sqlserver

harsh

Hi,
I am seeing a erratic behaviour with the application i am working with

1. I have a database server which hosts three databases - say - DB1,
DB2, DB3.
2. I have two applications - appli_1 and appli_2. Both applications are
written in c#.
appli_1 is written as a exe and runs as a service, scheduled thru
windows service.
appli_2 is a web application.
Both appli_1 and appli_2 share the same configuration file for
application specific variables.
However, the variables used by each application are different.
3. appli_1 accesses database DB1 and moves data from DB1 to DB2 and
DB3. This is done a regular intervals.
4. appli_2 accesses database DB2 and DB3.
5. appli_1 and appli_2 do not interact directly.

What happens is this :-
It was observed that users who logged in to appli_2 were given a
message of their session having timed out, when actually the times were
not such that the session would have timed out.
On observation, it was found that this error was thrown up when the
data movement was started by appli_1. Having switched off appli_1 , the
error goes away.

I am not able to narrow down on the cause for the above behaviour. Are
there any known issues around this ? If someone can provide pointers to
what may be happening that would help.

PS:- appli_1 makes use of timers.

Regards
harsh

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

Are you writing to the configuration files? Can you check the event viewer
to determine if the application pool for app_2 has been recycled?

--
Warm regards,

[Shameless Author plug]
Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley