Error accessing network resources in ASP.Net

Siva

Hi,
I am trying to run my ASP.Net web app. As part of this app, it needs
to create a file in a share in side of the intranet. When I run this
app from a machine which is same as the web server, everything works
just fine. However when I try the same thing from a remote machine
(which is again part of the intranet) I get an error "Access to the
path denied". I have the impersonation enabled on my web.config and
the integrated windows authentication enabled in IIS config for this
setting. My dilemma is, under this setting if I access the web app from
remote machine, under whose context will the app run?

Any help on this will be very much appreciated

Thanks
-Siva

Joshua Flanagan

The network request will be made under your machine's domain account
(domain\machinename$).

Jim Cheshire

Siva said:
Hi,
I am trying to run my ASP.Net web app. As part of this app, it needs
to create a file in a share in side of the intranet. When I run this
app from a machine which is same as the web server, everything works
just fine. However when I try the same thing from a remote machine
(which is again part of the intranet) I get an error "Access to the
path denied". I have the impersonation enabled on my web.config and
the integrated windows authentication enabled in IIS config for this
setting. My dilemma is, under this setting if I access the web app
from remote machine, under whose context will the app run?

Depending on how you've implemented this, you may be encountering an issue
with delegation of credentials. In fact, when it works from the console but
not from a remote box, that's almost always the cause.

One of the types of Windows authentication is NTLM. NTLM does not allow for
delegation of credentials. If you authenticate via a client to the Web
server and then the Web server attempts to pass your credentials to another
computer, that second "hop" will fail.

The solution to that is to use Kerberos and enable delegation.

810572 How to configure an ASP.NET application for a delegation scenario
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;810572

--
Jim Cheshire

Latest entry: Digging into Objects