error ASPPARSE: Circular file references are not allowed.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Alan Samet, Mar 7, 2006.

  1. Alan Samet

    Alan Samet Guest

    Before telling me what I already know about what this error means,
    please read the post.

    I encountered this bizarre error when running aspnet_compiler.exe.
    Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to reproduce it outside of the
    context in which I encountered it, so this post is more to serve as a
    record and possible workaround for others than may encounter the same
    issue.

    There was no circular reference in the control, or through that
    control's dependencies. I performed a workaround that involved
    replacing the one instance of the control that, when registered, caused
    me this trouble. I simply removed the control's reference from the
    page, added a placeholder in place of it and used LoadControl and
    Reflection to load it at runtime.

    The application I'm building contains about a thousand dynamic aspx and
    ascx files and has a fair amount of depth through some of the
    references. I'm wondering if this could be caused by a dumb recursion
    check where a circular reference is assumed after a certain depth of
    references.

    -Alan

    Alan Samet, Mar 7, 2006