error ASPPARSE: Circular file references are not allowed.

Alan Samet

Before telling me what I already know about what this error means,
please read the post.

I encountered this bizarre error when running aspnet_compiler.exe.
Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to reproduce it outside of the
context in which I encountered it, so this post is more to serve as a
record and possible workaround for others than may encounter the same
issue.

There was no circular reference in the control, or through that
control's dependencies. I performed a workaround that involved
replacing the one instance of the control that, when registered, caused
me this trouble. I simply removed the control's reference from the
page, added a placeholder in place of it and used LoadControl and
Reflection to load it at runtime.

The application I'm building contains about a thousand dynamic aspx and
ascx files and has a fair amount of depth through some of the
references. I'm wondering if this could be caused by a dumb recursion
check where a circular reference is assumed after a certain depth of