error BC30002: Type Excel.Application is not Defined

Mel

Can anyone tell me why I am getting this error? It bombs on this line
of my VB code:
Public appExcel As New Excel.Application

It works when I test it on my machine but once I release the page to
the web server I get the error when I click on a hyperlink that loads
the page. I have the Interop.Excel and Interop.Microsoft.Office.Core
references added to my project but I still get this error. What am I
missing?

Guest

You need to install Excel on the server as well. Remember the interop
libraries are just wrappers around the actual Excel COM library.

BTW, automating Microsoft Office applications on server-side is not
recommended and nor supported. For more info, read
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257757/

Mel

Because server-side Office automation doesn't work:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257757#kb2

You'll need to find a different method of integrating Excel into your
ASP.NET app - what are you trying to do exactly...?

The Excel spreadsheet is a calculator. It has a ton of formulas which
were written by a 3rd party vendor of ours. Instead of reinventing
the wheel and creating a new web page which incorporates all of those
same formulas I figured it was easier to just have Excel run in the
background with that spreadsheet open (for read only access). The
idea is, when the user changes an input field on the web page the
visual basic code changes the corresponding field in the spreadsheet
which is running in the background and just retrieves the results from
the spreadsheet and places them on the web page "outputs" section.

Then, as far as maintenance is concerned, if in the future any of the
calculations change we can just update the spreadsheet and no code
would need to be changed on the web site.

Mark Rae [MVP]

I figured it was easier to just have Excel run in the background

Won't work, I'm afraid - Excel (like the rest of Office) just isn't designed
to be run like this...

Mel

You need to install Excel on the server as well. Remember the interop
libraries are just wrappers around the actual Excel COM library.

BTW, automating Microsoft Office applications on server-side is not
recommended and nor supported. For more info, readhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/257757/

Yep, we did install Excel on the web server. If it's not supported
does that mean it absolutely can't be done? Is that the reason why I
am getting the error message, because it's not supported?

Mark Rae [MVP]

If it's not supported does that mean it absolutely can't be done?
Yes.

Is that the reason why I am getting the error message, because it's not
supported?

The reason you're getting the error message is because it doesn't work,
which is also the reason why it's not supported...