Error: Cannot access ASP compatibility mode

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Vycka, Oct 12, 2005.

  1. Vycka

    Vycka Guest

    Hello,

    There is a enterprise web application that is based on asp.net technologies
    and works on Microsoft IIS. The total number of users is 850. When the load
    of system gets very high, the system stops working and all users are
    receiving an error (see at the bottom). Doing IISRESET or restarting server
    helps (but just until the next big load).

    Additional information:
    - Server OS MS Windows Server 2003 Standard edition SP1
    - System is using Microsoft SQL Server 2000 SP3
    - .NET Framework 1.1

    Any advices are appreciated.

    Vycka

    Error:
    Cannot access ASP compatibility mode

    Stack Trace:

    [HttpException (0x80004005): Cannot access ASP compatibility mode.]

    [HttpException (0x80004005): Exception of type System.Web.HttpException was
    thrown.]
    System.Web.HttpAsyncResult.End() +54
    System.Web.UI.Page.AspCompatEndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult result) +15
    ASP.Form_aspx.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult ar) in
    c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files\doclogix\76b6160a\f0c93880\b_c1fboy.0.cs:0
    System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()
    +154
    completedSynchronously) +173

    Vycka, Oct 12, 2005

  2. Vycka,

    could I ask you why you need ASP compatibility mode turned on ?

    Are you accessing an apartment-threaded COM
    component, like ADO, through an ASP.NET page ?

    You only need ASPCompat turned on if the ASP page you are porting
    uses apartment-threaded COM components or COM components that
    access the ASP-intrinsic objects.

    Otherwise this directive is not required and can be safely eliminated.

    If you *are* using ADO, the solution is
    to port the database access to ADO.NET.

    Turning ASP Compatibility on kills ASP.NET performance.
    That's why you only see the problem with large server loads.

    Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    Foros de ASP.NET en EspaƱol : http://asp.net.do/foros/

    Juan T. Llibre, Oct 12, 2005