Error: Cannot use a leading .. to exit above the top directory.

moondaddy

I have a simple sample site I'm building in asp.net 2.0. I created a master
page and a default.aspx content page in the project's root directory. Then
I created a subfolder called content and added some aspx pages in the
'content' folder. when these pages were created I referenced the master
page so everything should be linked up OK. Now, back on default.aspx I
added a linkbutton and referenced one of the aspx pages in the 'content'
folder. When I run the project and click on that link button, I get the
error:

Cannot use a leading .. to exit above the top directory.

It seems odd that something as straight forward as this wont work. This
site will ultimately run on a shared server so I can't tweak IIS. I'm sure
there's million or so web sites under the same circumstance where they too
can't tweak IIS, but need to have content organized in various folders.
What's a good work-around for this?

btw: I saw some other similar postings and the response they got was to map
the url at runtime via code. This seems like a step backwards since MS is
boasting code reduction and RAD tools. Certainly, there must be a better
way...

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Moondaddy,

Welcome to aspnet newsgroup.
From your description, you're encountering some problems developing an
ASP.NET 2.0 web application which contains some asp.nets in root app dir
and some other pages in sub directories. However, you're getting some
problems when add some linking between those pages, yes?

As for the following thing you mentioned:
===============
Now, back on default.aspx I
added a linkbutton and referenced one of the aspx pages in the 'content'
folder. When I run the project and click on that link button, I get the
================

would you provide some page's code snippet and aspx template (together with
the application directory structure) so that we can perform some local test?

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "moondaddy" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Error: Cannot use a leading .. to exit above the top directory.
| Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:40:30 -0600
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I have a simple sample site I'm building in asp.net 2.0. I created a
master
| page and a default.aspx content page in the project's root directory.
Then
| I created a subfolder called content and added some aspx pages in the
| 'content' folder. when these pages were created I referenced the master
| page so everything should be linked up OK. Now, back on default.aspx I
| added a linkbutton and referenced one of the aspx pages in the 'content'
| folder. When I run the project and click on that link button, I get the
| error:
|
| Cannot use a leading .. to exit above the top directory.
|
| It seems odd that something as straight forward as this wont work. This
| site will ultimately run on a shared server so I can't tweak IIS. I'm
sure
| there's million or so web sites under the same circumstance where they
too
| can't tweak IIS, but need to have content organized in various folders.
| What's a good work-around for this?
|
| btw: I saw some other similar postings and the response they got was to
map
| the url at runtime via code. This seems like a step backwards since MS
is
| boasting code reduction and RAD tools. Certainly, there must be a better
| way...
|
| --
| (e-mail address removed)

Guest

Hi Steve,

I got the same error code using the Starter Kit that comes with VWD Express
Edition. I modified the starter kit by adding a couple of links to pages in
various sub-folders.

Everything works in the development environment. But once I publish the site
to an intranet I could not navigate to any page that resides in a sub-folder.

I tried everything suggested by people with related problem but nothing
seems to work. I even diable the Enable Parent Paths on the IIS.

It also appears that this problem has been around for a while.

Any suggestions to solve this problem will be highly appreciated.

Thank You

-Tunji