Error connecting to DB from website

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by minckle, Jun 6, 2006.

  1. minckle

    minckle Guest

    hi, i am trying to get an enquiry form into a database, but i keep
    getting the following error:

    Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    Not a valid file name.

    The website and database are on different servers.

    i am using the following connection string:

    Dim conn
    Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    conn.open "PROVIDER=MICROSOFT.JET.OLEDB.4.0;DATA
    SOURCE=http:\\www.inckle.co.uk\database\Enquiry_DB.mdb"

    That is definately the correct path for the database

    Im running a simple INSERT query, which i know works

    Can anyone give me some advice???

    Are there any specific security settings i should be looking at?? or
    can it be something else??

    thanks..

    minckle, Jun 6, 2006

  2. minckle

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On 6 Jun 2006 15:34:22 -0700, "minckle" <>
    wrote:

    >hi, i am trying to get an enquiry form into a database, but i keep
    >getting the following error:
    >
    >Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    >Not a valid file name.
    >
    >The website and database are on different servers.
    >
    >i am using the following connection string:
    >
    >Dim conn
    >Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    >conn.open "PROVIDER=MICROSOFT.JET.OLEDB.4.0;DATA
    >SOURCE=http:\\www.inckle.co.uk\database\Enquiry_DB.mdb"
    >
    >That is definately the correct path for the database
    >
    >Im running a simple INSERT query, which i know works
    >
    >Can anyone give me some advice???
    >
    >Are there any specific security settings i should be looking at?? or
    >can it be something else??

    FAQ:

    Why do I get database-related 80004005 errors?
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009
    Why do I get non-database-related 80004005 errors?
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2413

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jun 7, 2006

  3. minckle

    Mike Brind Guest

    minckle wrote:
    > hi, i am trying to get an enquiry form into a database, but i keep
    > getting the following error:
    >
    > Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    > Not a valid file name.
    >
    > The website and database are on different servers.
    >
    > i am using the following connection string:
    >
    > Dim conn
    > Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    > conn.open "PROVIDER=MICROSOFT.JET.OLEDB.4.0;DATA
    > SOURCE=http:\\www.inckle.co.uk\database\Enquiry_DB.mdb"
    >
    > That is definately the correct path for the database

    That's no path - it's a URL.

    And the last thing you want to be doing is to give the URL of your mdb
    file on usenet. Anyone reading this can download a copy of your
    database. Move the database now.

    Do not store mdb files in in the root directory structure of web sites.
    Move it outside of the root.

    As far as connecting to an Access file on a different server to your
    web site, you need to look at this:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2168

    --
    Mike Brind