error deploying web service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Mark Finkel, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. Mark Finkel

    Mark Finkel Guest

    I have developed a web service on my own PC which works properly. Deploying
    it to the production web farm I copy all .aspx files and \bin for both the
    service and the app that calls it. When I try to invoke the service in
    production I get the error below.

    Thanks in advance,
    Mark Finkel

    The request failed with HTTP status 400: Bad Request.

    Exception Details: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP
    status 400: Bad Request.

    Source Error:

    Mark Finkel, Dec 1, 2004

  2. Mark Finkel

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi,

    Try deploying using the menu item on the file menu for publishing your
    service to a remote server.

    Hope this helps

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation
    --------------------
    >From: "=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBGaW5rZWw=?=" <Mark

    >Subject: error deploying web service
    >Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 07:33:05 -0800
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    3.phx.gbl

    >I have developed a web service on my own PC which works properly.

    Deploying
    >it to the production web farm I copy all .aspx files and \bin for both the
    >service and the app that calls it. When I try to invoke the service in
    >production I get the error below.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Mark Finkel
    >
    >The request failed with HTTP status 400: Bad Request.
    >current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information

    about
    >the error and where it originated in the code.
    >
    >Exception Details: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP
    >status 400: Bad Request.
    >
    >Source Error:
    >
    >An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current

    web
    >request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception

    can

    Dan Rogers, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Mark Finkel

    Mark Finkel Guest

    Dan,

    Thanks for the suggestion but that is impossible given how the hosting
    service operates. I must manually copy files. Is there anything else I must
    copy for a web service besides the .aspx files and \bin?

    Regards,
    Mark

    Mark Finkel, Dec 2, 2004
  4. Mark Finkel

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Mark,

    Unfortunately, yes. There is a lot more to a web service setup than just
    the files you see under an IIS vroot. First, the .NET runtime has to be
    installed on the machine you are hosting your service on. The next thing
    is that the web site or vroot itself has to be configured as an ASP.Net
    application and not just a IIS web site. This takes some administrative
    cooperation.

    Can you confirm that the runtime is already installed, properly configured,
    and that the vroot you are copying to is properly set up? One way to test
    this is to try and access the web.config file from a browser. If you can
    download that file, it's almost certain that ASP.Net is not properly
    installed.

    From there, you can most readily get all of the files by xcopy - all of the
    files from your dev machine to the production machine. If you want an
    optimized copy that only includes runtime files, set up a separate vroot on
    your development machine, and publish from your development site to this
    new preproduction vroot. If your publish settings are configured to only
    copy the files needed at runtime, then these will be what appear in the new
    location on your own machines.

    Another area where a hosted environment can trip you up is if your
    application requires any specific assemblies to be present in the global
    assembly cache (GAC). Only an administrator can add assemblies to the GAC,
    so again, if you need these, then a simple copy will not do the trick.

    I hope this helps

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation
    --------------------
    >From: "=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBGaW5rZWw=?=" <>

    <>
    >Subject: RE: error deploying web service
    >Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 19:05:02 -0800
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices

    >Dan,
    >
    >Thanks for the suggestion but that is impossible given how the hosting
    >service operates. I must manually copy files. Is there anything else I

    must
    >copy for a web service besides the .aspx files and \bin?
    >
    >Regards,
    >Mark
    >
    >"Dan Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Try deploying using the menu item on the file menu for publishing your
    >> service to a remote server.
    >>
    >> Hope this helps
    >>
    >> Dan Rogers
    >> Microsoft Corporation
    >> --------------------
    >> >From: "=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBGaW5rZWw=?=" <Mark

    >> >Subject: error deploying web service
    >> >Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 07:33:05 -0800
    >> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices

    cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTFEED01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA0

    Dan Rogers, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Mark Finkel

    Mark Finkel Guest

    Dan,

    Thank you very much for all of the information, but I still need to know
    exactly which files must be copied besides the .aspx files and /bin.

    The way the hosting service is set-up I cannot use the "copy application"
    from the Visual Studio menu. My only way to move the files is via FTP.

    I did confirm that I am unable to download web.config.

    Can you *please* tell me exactly which files must be copied?

    Regards,
    Mark

    Mark Finkel, Dec 2, 2004
  6. Mark Finkel

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi John,

    In my last post I suggested an effective way to discover the exact files
    you need. Since there can be any number of files in any given
    applications, I don't think I can effectively guess at all of the file
    names. The easiest way is to publish your project to a server that you can
    publish to - even if it is just another vroot on your development box. If
    you start out with an empty vroot, and then publish to it, any files that
    then appear under that directory are the ones you need to copy.

    This will cover the isolated files. But it won't cover any machine
    specific files.

    Have you tried copying a minimal hello world web service to your hosting
    company? If you just create a new web service project, accept all of the
    defaults, and uncomment out the hello world, you only need to copy the
    web.config, the service1.aspx, and all of the files in the debug/bin
    directory (oh... forgot to ask if you are deploying the debug build or the
    optimized build - this makes a difference).

    If after doing that minimum project you can call the hello world service
    from the host from a client that can call it from your dev machine (but you
    just change the URL programatically) then you know the hoster is able to
    serve up web services. If this fails, then you have discovered that the
    hoster doesn't support web services.

    Please try these steps, as I suspect this is a deeper issue than knowing
    which files are involved.

    I hope this helps

    Dan Rogers
    Microsoft Corporation
    --------------------
    >From: "=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBGaW5rZWw=?=" <>

    <>
    <>
    <#>

    Dan Rogers, Dec 3, 2004
  7. Mark Finkel

    Mark Finkel Guest

    Dan,

    Thanks for your continued assistance.

    Which files to copy is no longer an issue. I managed to copy the application
    from Visual Studio using Project...Copy Project. Sadly, it made no difference.

    I also passed on your previous suggestions to the NT admins in the hosting
    company. I will keep you posted as to their reply. It looks like I may be
    playing middleman for a bit, a role I am happy to fill if it leads to a
    resolution.

    Thanks again,
    Mark

    Mark Finkel, Dec 3, 2004
  8. Mark Finkel

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi Mark,

    Glad to help. I do expect you have run into a not-uncommon phenomena -
    ISP's that will host an ASP based application but who just aren't prepared
    to host ASP.NET applications.

    Good luck

    Dan

    --------------------

    Dan Rogers, Dec 3, 2004
  9. Mark Finkel

    Mark Finkel Guest

    Dan,

    I am afraid there has been a misunderstanding. The ISP *definitely* supports
    ASP.NET. I have 2 .NET applications running there just fine. The only problem
    is with the invocation of the web service.

    I have not yet heard from them since I passed on your comments.

    But to summarize: normal ASP.NET applications run fine. A web service which
    runs fine on my development PC is copied via Visual Studio - Project...Copy
    Project. On the ISP site the statement which invokes the web service fails
    with staus 400, bad request.

    Regards,
    Mark

    Mark Finkel, Dec 5, 2004