Error event in UserControl

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Marc, Mar 31, 2009.

  1. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Dear all

    I tried to use the usercontrol error event to catch errors. I realized that
    it never gets fired - please check these resources:
    http://weblogs.asp.net/vga/archive/2003/06/16/8748.asp
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10793/catching-unhandled-exceptions-in-asp-net-usercontrols
    http://cwizo.blogspot.com/2006/09/usercontrolerror-not-firing.html

    These resources describe why the error event is not fireing. But I would
    like to know a work around or a method how the error event of a usercontrol
    gets fired in case of an error that is not handled.

    Thanks in advance for your help,

    Marc

    --
    Kind Regards,

    Marc

    Marc, Mar 31, 2009

  2. Hi Marc,

    To do this we can manually catch each exception and trigger the Error
    event. Below is the sample:

    ascx:
    <%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true"
    CodeBehind="WebUserControl1.ascx.cs"
    Inherits="WebApplication1.WebUserControl1" %>
    <asp:Button ID="Button1" runat="server" onclick="Button1_Click" Text="Click
    Me" />

    ascx.cs:
    namespace WebApplication1
    {
    public partial class WebUserControl1 : System.Web.UI.UserControl

    try
    {
    throw new Exception("hello world!");
    }
    catch (Exception ex) {
    this.OnError(new WebUserControlEventArgs() { Message =
    ex.Message });
    public class WebUserControlEventArgs : EventArgs {
    public string Message { get; set; }

    aspx:
    <uc1:WebUserControl1 ID="WebUserControl11" runat="server"/>
    aspx.cs:

    namespace WebApplication1
    {
    public partial class WebForm1 : System.Web.UI.Page
    {
    protected void Page_Init(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    this.WebUserControl11.Error+=new
    EventHandler(WebUserControl11_Error);
    }

    void WebUserControl11_Error(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {

    Response.Write("Exception is thrown in WebUserControl11");

    In each event handler of web user control we can use a try..catch block to
    wrap our code. And trigger the Error event in the catch block to notify the
    Page that uses the web user control.

    If you have additional questions please feel free to ask.

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    .