ERROR: 'HTTP/1.0 503 Service Unavailable'

Guest

Hi,

i'm trying to create my first ASP.NET project ( HelloASPWorld project) but
an error occured when I put OK button in NewProject.
ERROR:
"The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
open the Web project located at the following URL:
'https://localhost/HelloASPWorld'.'HTTP/1.0 503 Service Unavailable'."

I have installed IIS first and then reinstall Visual Studio
I don't know what I have to set yet to solve this problem.

Please help me!

Guest

Hi Juan,

first option failed, but second "http://127.0.0.1/HelloASPWorld" works.
Thanks.

Can you tell me why alias 'localhost' doesn't work? In
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" I have mapped IIS IP address:
127.0.0.1 localhost

Thank you, Tomas

Juan T. Llibre

Your hosts file doesn't have an extension, does it ?
( You don't have hosts.txt, I assume )

If your hosts file doesn't have an extension,
there might be something wrong with your TCP/IP stack.

It's difficult to diagnose the lack of recognition for localhost.

Can you ping 127.0.0.1 ?
Can you ping localhost ?

Does your machine name work ?
http://YourMachineName/ should work, too.

Can you ping YourMachineName ?

Guest

Hi,

I can ping all from this options:
ping 127.0.0.1
ping localhost
and also ping MyMachineName

but http://myMachineName/ doesn't work!!!

And you are true, my host file doesn't have an extension. Should I rename it
to host.txt?

Tomas

Juan T. Llibre

re:
Should I rename it to host.txt?

No. Do *not* rename it.

It should *not* have an extension.
It's fine as it is.

If it *did* have an extension ( like .txt,
added almost automatically by Notepad ),
*That* could be a reason for it *not* to work.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

re:

Then, it's pretty sure there's something
screwed up in your TCP/IP stack.

That happened to me a long time ago,
using Windows 98 and ASP 1.0.

It was a pain in the you-know-what,
and I was never able to fix it

Only when I changed the OS to a Server OS,
was I able to use localhost for a web address.

Which OS are you using ? Windows XP ?

There's a patch available from Microsoft
which covers precisely that problem.

You might want to apply it, if you're running
Windows XP and have applied SP2.

It's at

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d2-5034-4bbb-b74d-ad8430a1f7c8&DisplayLang=en

Try that, and let us know...

Guest

Hi,

yes, my OS is Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 2.

I'll try "your" patch and I'll give you an answer if it helps.

Tomas

Juan T. Llibre

It's not "my" patch.

It's an "official" Microsoft patch.

Apparently, others have had
the same problem you're reporting.

It *clicked* for me, after we'd exchanged a couple of posts,
that this patch had been made available to Windows XP SP2
users, to solve -precisely- that problem, last September.

I'll be looking forward to your confirmation that installing the
patch does, indeed, make it possible for you to connect to
localhost and to your machinename in URL addresses.

Guest

Hello Juan,

hmm, this patch doesn't work with my problem. I installed this patch,
restarted OS and then I tried again create a new project using 'localhost'
('http://localhost/TestProject') and the same error occured: 'HTTP/1.0 503
Service Unavailable'.
Also htttp://localhost/ and http://MyMachineName/ doesn't work.

So, seems that I have just use 127.0.0.1 address if I want create some ASP
project.

Thanks Juan for your time.
Tomas

Juan T. Llibre

Hmmm...

Sorry to hear that.
I was hopeful that the patch would be the solution.

I'll see what I can do to explain your problem to
the development teams, and see if some sort
of answer comes out of that.

Guest

Thanx, Tomas