error in adding user controls at runtime

rushikesh.joshi

Hi All,

I have created my own WebControl and want to add it in my aspx page at
runtime.

it's compiling perfectly, but when i m going to execute, it gives me
error of "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." in my
server control (ascx.cs file)

There is a table in my user control with id "tdCell".

I'm creating a Label control at runtime in Page_Load of user control,
and want to add it in the "tdCell" by just tdCell.Controls.Add()....

There is a Panel on my aspx page with id "TBarPanel", and want to add
the user control at runtime. but i m getting error.

Any idea...I tried panel/placeholder/table every thing but it's not
working.
I also tried using LoadControl("MyControl.ascx"), but it's also not
working.

I put all code and error string for your reference.

Thanks & Regards,
Rushikesh

////////// MyControl.ascx /////////////

<%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true"
CodeFile="MyControl.ascx.cs" Inherits="MyControl" %>

////////// MyControl.ascx.cs /////////////

using System;
using System.Data;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;

public partial class MyControl: System.Web.UI.UserControl

Label lbl = new Label();
lbl.Text = "Hello";
tdCell.Controls.Add(lbl);

//// //// MyControl_Test.aspx /////////

CodeFile="MyControl_Test.aspx.cs" Inherits="MyControl_Test" %>

<%@ Register Src="MyControl.ascx" TagName="MyControl" TagPrefix="uc1"
%>

<head runat="server">
<title>Untitled Page</title>
</head>
<form id="form1" runat="server">
<asp:panel ID="TBarPanel" runat="server" Height="42px"
Width="100%">
</asp:panel>
</form>

//// //// MyControl_Test.aspx.cs /////////

using System;
using System.Data;
using System.Configuration;
using System.Collections;
using System.Web;
using System.Web.Security;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;
using System.Web.UI.HtmlControls;

public partial class TimeBarCtrl_Test : System.Web.UI.Page
MyControl myctrl1 = new MyControl();
placeUserControls.AddTimeBarSegment(myctrl1);

MyControl myctrl2 = new MyControl();
placeUserControls.AddTimeBarSegment(myctrl2);

MyControl myctrl3 = new MyControl();
placeUserControls.AddTimeBarSegment(myctrl3);

////////////////////**********************Error

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not
set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Line 54: Label lbl = new Label();
Line 55: lbl.Text = "Hello";
Line 56: tdCell.Controls.Add(lbl);
Line 57:
Line 58:

Source File: d:\inetpub\wwwroot\MACT\Interface\TimeBarCtrl.ascx.cs
Line: 56

Stack Trace:

object.]
TimeBarCtrl.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
d:\inetpub\wwwroot\MACT\Interface\TimeBarCtrl.ascx.cs:56
System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object
o, Object t, EventArgs e) +13
System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object
sender, EventArgs e) +45
+3710

Karl Seguin [MVP]

More code would be helpful.

It should look something:

Control c = Page.LoadControl("controlFileName.ascx");
tdCell.Controls.Add(c);

From the brief description you've given, it looks like the error might
actually be happening in your contorl (you say the object reference is
occuring in an ascx file) so it's really hard to tell what exactly is going
on.

Karl

--
http://www.openmymind.net/
http://www.fuelindustries.com/

[...]

Hi Karl,

Thankyou for quick response.

Yes you are right, there might be some problem in my user control.

But it seems ok, there is tdCell id and my MyControl.ascx page and i m
trying to add some label control by just tdCell.Controls.Add(lbl).

this is working perfectly in ASPX file but this is not working in ASCX.

Thanks
Rushikesh